1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: data recovery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Timone, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Timone

Timone Thread Starter

I have a laptop will not boot! I installed the drive in a caddy and it only shows me the system reserved part. not the rest of the drive... it is a hitachi hdd and when put back into the laptop and tested with hitachi hdd diag software, it says bad sectors were found and wants to erase or attempt a sector repair on the drive... i have documents i want to recover.. will attempting a sector repair possibly help... is there a better option..... any advice or opinion ...please help

thanks

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Best plan would be a sector-by-sector backup of the entire drive.

I know Acronis True Image can do this...there may be other free drive imaging software choices as well.

3. armly

armly

I've had great experience with Acronis, has been very dependable for me.

Have heard of problems with mounting images from Norton Ghost though this isn't direct experience, to be fair.

4. Timone

Timone Thread Starter

thanks folks but my pc wont detect this drive as slave so how will acronis see it? and if i put it back in the laptop that wont boot .... do i use a boot disk and if so then where would i save the files too?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

6. Timone

Timone Thread Starter

Parted magic linux works GREAT. Thanks so much. I booted with it, connected an external usb drive and copied my files over. Thanks again

Timone

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. Parted magic is a VERY useful disto/tool. For future reference, you can mark your own thread as solved using the button at the top of the page. I will mark this one for you so no need to do anything.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice