1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Data transfer from Windows Mail to Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Banner1976, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Banner1976

Banner1976 Thread Starter

I want to install ubuntu into my laptop, but I have one small problem. I need to save content of Windows Mail and transfer it to my desktop to the Outlook Express. I have no idea how to do that.

2. Banner1976

Banner1976 Thread Starter

It is probably most stupid solution, but I sent most important mails to the other account, and I saved them in that way. If someone knows how to do that in "pro" way let me know. Please.

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi Banner1976

Windows Mail save its messages as .eml files. Locate the .eml files, copy them to the other computer.
    Open Outlook Express and drag the .eml files into Outlook Express.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Are you sure about that? I don't think OE can import or convert .eml files since WM never existed for OE. I would bet you could import them (file,import) to a newer version of Outlook though.

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Who are you addressing?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Your answer I thought.

7. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

OK. If you don't believe me, try it for yourself.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Ok I just find this hard to believe since OE existed before WM. I would love to try it because if it works, and I am surmising then you have done this as opposed to reading it...can you please give me specifics? Like drag it and paste it where in OE?

The reason I am so surprised is I started with Vista in WM and then decided to go to Outlook because WM is really nothing but a bad clone of it anyway, but could not import into Outlook 2003 because of the age difference in the 2 programs or so I assumed. If there was another way to do that with Outlook then I should have been able to with Outlook 2003 as well, and probably never thought of it as I simply went out and bought Office 2007 to complete the project. I was not being disrespectful actually quite the opposite.

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

You may be reading more into what I posted.

Windows Mail did away with the .dbx files, it now saves messages as individual .eml files.
    Outlook Express will accept the dragging and dropping of .eml files into the folder pane or if you are steady enough you can drop the .eml messages on top of the Outlook Express folders themselves.

I use the folder pane on the right, to drop in the messages, there is more space to maneuver and the folder list doesn't start moving on me. I am not pasting them into Outlook Express, I am dragging and dropping the .eml files into Outlook Express.

This does not apply to Microsoft Outlook. Drag an .eml file into Microsoft Outlook and a message opens with the .eml file as an attachment. Not usually the result one wants.

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-mail/723348.htm#post2741973

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes you are right I did read more into it but still it is nice to know you can do that and I was looking for a way to do that with Outlook actually. Thanks again.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/838782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice