1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Data Transfer

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Theodore, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Theodore

Theodore Thread Starter

Just purchased a new PC: Windows 8/256 SSD boot drive/ 2 TB HD/ how can I transfer selected data from my old PC to the new PC so I don't have to backup data to numerous DVD's.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Copy from your backup copy; external hard drive; temporarily connect the old hard drive to the new PC or the new drive to the old PC; over a local network; USB flash drive.

3. valis

valis Moderator

you can get a usb enclosure to put your old HD in and then just plug it into the new machine. the new machine will read it like a USB stick.

I've got one of these at home and at work. It's relatively cheap, handles both 2.5 and 3.5" drives, and comes in extremely handy.

4. valis

valis Moderator

dangit, TerryNet, knew I shouldn't have taken the time to find that link.....:)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Links are good! And I didn't explicitly mention USB enclosures for connecting to a different machine. :)

6. Theodore

Theodore Thread Starter

Thanks guys, info did turn on the bulb ! I already have a 1 TB ex HD which I can load selected files and then transfer them to the new PC when I connecte them. Do you see any problem with this and any suggestions as to files to keep.

7. valis

valis Moderator

no problems, nope. Just an fyi, whenever I set up a new machine for a client, I generally a folder off of root (in your case, it would be c:\theo) and instruct them to create subdirectories under it. That way, when you get a new machine, you just copy over that folder and it's subdirectories, and you have all your stuff in one place.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Photos of me and music that I like to listen to. :p:rolleyes: :D

They're your files. Keep the ones that are still important to you.

If you are going to sell, gift, donate, recycle or just reinstall an OS on the old machine keep it until you have used the new one for a week without going back to the old to get "just one more file." :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!