1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Date stamp

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by xavier2, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

How do I date stamp with the Canon EOS 550 D? I can find nothing under all five menu tabs. I can set the date and time but I can't put the date onto recorded images. Thanks in advance.:confused:

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

it should be in the exif information , or did you want it to be seen on the image ?

3. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. I want to see it on the image.

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

dont think that can be done in camera - but i suspect easier to do post processing - i'll look at irfanview and see if theres an editor that can do that

5. wowzer

wowzer

Agree... sort of... There maybe an in camera setting to view it on the display screen. Probably not on the image itself, that would be seen.maybe after save or print.

6. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

I don't really understand what's going on here. Of the many digital cameras I have had in the past, including Pentax, Samsung and Olympus,all of them could date stamp, standard and dead easy. Can someone please confirm that Canon are the only exception and why.

7. wowzer

wowzer

I have no knowledge of Canon cameras... sorry

Where and how are you trying to see the time/date stamp?

8. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

all digital DSLRs
    most would do it on film

9. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

"Date Stamp" is found under one of the menu tabs - quite separate from "Date/Time" (which Canon has). Note that it prints only the date and not the time and applies to both compacts and DSLR's. Someone must know the answer to this one because it all seems a bit weird plus no-one seems to really understand my question and missing the point.The only difference between different cameras is that they stamp in different colours and you have no choice in the matter.

10. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

i understand the question , to put the date stamp onto the image, I just did not think many modern cameras had this facility - and i have had a few canon camera

This is from a FAQ on the Canon site
    http://support-th.canon-asia.com/contents/TH/EN/8200745600.html#1

it also shows you exactly how to use zoombrowser to print the date on the image

most would do it with software when printing the image - see how with zoombrowser below
    heres a user manual for a canon
    http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/slr/Rebel_Ti_manual.pdf
    page 29/30 shows how to print the date on the image - BUT the camera needs to be a DATE model to do that

For printing - if you use zoom browser - which is provided with canon camera

print & share
    photo print

you should see
    shooting date /time
    and a drop down box - that allows you to add the date and time to the image for printing

I have found a few programs that will add the date stamp to images in batch - but they are all pay for - and not actually tried to see if it works

The EXIF shooting data , including date/time is embedded in the image and available to read with most image editors and also as an add-in on most web browsers - so you can right click on an image on the web and seethe exif (Note the image would need to have the exif preserved for web use - some editors when using a "save for web" option strips out the exif - adobe photoshop and elements does this - but just save as jpg and its preserved

11. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

Thank you, etaf, very much for your trouble and detailed reply. It looks as if the answer is there in your quote - "This camera cannot record the shooting date directly on the images it takes." I am astonished that every camera in the world, that I know of, can do it with a couple of clicks of the mouse. I won't mark this solved because someone may come up with a bit of background information. Incidentally, I have just tried Canon Support and they want £12 to answer my question. I have further Googled the question and I am not alone - the question has been asked before and, like me, no proper answer was given. Thanks again.

12. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

Correction - Not a couple of clicks of the mouse but a couple of clicks on camera.

13. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

It has been confirmed to me from another source that this camera does not have this facility.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058811