1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DDHelp caused Protection Fault in GDI.exe

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Joanna7, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joanna7

Joanna7 Thread Starter

I tried many solutions to no avail. Dr. Watson says GDIInterface Core component accessed memory improperly or encoountered some non specific error on module gdi.exe. Another says DDHelp caused a protection fault in module GDI.exe. I ran a Systems check but everything checked out with no problem discovered. I tried to find a solution on Microsoft but could not find anything that I could understand or use. This message appears originally when I click IE (my version is 5) and my Home page of Yahoo appears. The Illegal notice mentions Kernel32dll. Does anyone know a solution> I can use my IE by circumventing my home page.

2. randyrayd

randyrayd

3. Joanna7

Joanna7 Thread Starter

Well, the reason I have not upgraded IE5 is because I feared creating problems. When everything was working OK I thought I had better not interfere.Now you know what a novice I am. However, I have definitely decided to make the upgrade to IE6 and was about to do so today when this GDI problem appeared out of nowhere. Strange, because I had downloaded the most recent Direct X on July 20 and it was only today that Ithis problem arose. I read the instructions you provided and will try that solution. BUT, do you think I should simply install the IE6 first, before re-downloading Direct X and following those instructions? In other words, would the new IE6 possibly solve the Direct X problem?.

4. randyrayd

randyrayd

Upgrading won't hurt, but probably won't solve your problem IMO. It also wouldn't hurt to get the current driver for your video card. Either go to the manufacturers website or driver.com.

rd

5. Joanna7

Joanna7 Thread Starter

Bump. I tried doing as instructed in the Microsoft article you suggested. However, when I tried to make the change I was notified that my system did not support the change and was advised to cancel that option. So I decided to upgrade to IE6 and hope that the problem would be miraculously solved. That is what I did and the problem dissolved! Thanks for your attention,

6. randyrayd

randyrayd

Glad I could help. You can mark the thread solved using "thread tools" above and to the right of your initial post.

Randall

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice