1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DDR memory conflict?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newtz, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newtz

newtz Thread Starter

Hi there:

Just got a new Kingston (value RAM) 512MB 333MHz DDR chip & installed into bay 2 of an ASUS A7V8X-X/Socket A/AGP 8X/DDR 400/333FSB motherboard.

In bay 1, I already have 512MB PC2700 32X64 DDR333 - included w/ the motherboard & chip purchase (don't know much more about it - probably generic).

Upon installation, everything works, counts 1GB RAM on boot, I have a memory monitor (for win98se - memory hog) that says I have over 700MB free at any time, but in a short time after playing around on internet, email, etc, I get BSOD saying system resources/memory running very low. This never happened until I installed the new RAM. Could there be a conflict? Should I switch the chips & put the Kingston in bay 1?

I'm doing a little research, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience & knows what I can try in the mean time?

thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Windows 98 does not play nicely with more than 512 megs of ram. Why do you think you need 1 gig? :confused:

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

Open the file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI in Notepad, scroll down until you find the line [vcache], enter the following two lines underneath it, save the file, then restart Windows:

MinFileCache=131072
    MaxFileCache=524288

This fixes the problem Win95/98/ME run into when you have over 512MB of RAM. If you still get errors, download and run a memory testing program (e.g. memtest86 from www.memtest.org).

4. newtz

newtz Thread Starter

Thanks, will use those settings and try it out. Will reply w/ results.

Will also d/l the memory testing program.

To answer AcaCandy's question, I recently got a laptop from a friend (win2k), have setup wireless network - basic windows networking. Upstairs desktop is win98se, which has now essentially become the 'server' (file & print) where most files are stored and utilized by the laptop. Wireless network is great, can access internet & upstairs files anywhere in the house. However, lately have noticed that the desktop has become less stable w/ long use & file access. Not that win98 is the most stable os in the first place, but have noticed more instability upstairs since I've networked everything. So, I've decided to install win2k on a new hd upstairs. However, don't have time at the moment to re-build a new os & setup all software, etc (vacation soon) - I figured in the short meantime I might improve performance a bit by upgrading RAM... didin't know about win98 limitations. Hopefully the suggested fix above will take care of the issues, otherwise maybe I'll yank one of the ddr's & put it back when I install the new os.

thanks

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I have 98se running happily with 1Gb, with the Vcache fix. however the ME I installed on the same machine yesterday (we won't go into that) displays exactly your symptoms.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Were you able to get that to dual boot? :D

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I'll post a report back in the other thread. I'm looking at it at the moment.

8. newtz

newtz Thread Starter

Just a quick update - I followed Arcadion's vcache setting instructions and things seem to be more stable now.

I ran Memtest86+, no reported errors, so I guess I can send in the rebate forms...

Still a few lockups here and there. However, as I mentioned, the system is definitely more stable now. I think I just have to accept my fate until I can get rid of win98. It was so nice for soooo long, but with all the new devices & software out there, the ol boy just can't seem to handle them all. I find a new reason to install a newer os it seems every day.

Looking forward to cracking open the case & installing new hd & os soon!

Thanks for all of your help... I will continue to look for ways to improve stability but it might be a futile exercise w/in a few weeks or months...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice