1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DDR3 Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisb1978march, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrisb1978march

chrisb1978march Thread Starter

Good evening!

I have a question, I have just recently acquired 2 x 2GB sticks of ram. I have stuck it in and the PC fails to boot. It gets to the loading windows screen and then I get the blue screen of death with an error message along the lines of data in the page file is corrupt.

I take the ram out and it works. I have also taken out the old ram and used the new and it works.

Memory modules are as follows:

Old
    G-Skill F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK
    DDR3-1333 2 GB 1.65V
    PC3-10666 CL8-8-8-21

New
    Offtek HYU31012882GBOE
    2GB DDR3 1066MHZ DIMM 128X8

I have an EVGA Nforce 790i Ultra Motherboard. For info the board has 4 slots 2 are grey 2 are black and the memory is paired accordingly.

Why won't the memory work together as 8GB? They both work separately and I know the board supports a maximum of 8GB. I am running Windows 7 x64, so i know there's no addressing issues. When the computer runs through the BIOS on boot, it registers the full 8GB of memory.

Can anyone help?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you look at your post, you have the answer. You are mixing memory of two different speeds and most likely voltages. If as an example you have the gskill memory in the first slot, you would be overclocking the no name brand memory. Most boards set memory speed by the chip in the first slot

3. chrisb1978march

Is there a way around that? I'm guessing not as I have put the no name brand in the first slot and it still didn't work.

I guess i'll need to get matching sticks then?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Make sure the memory you purchase is on the approved list for your mb.

Just my opinion however evga makes excellent video cards however that does not carry over to their mb. Good brands of mb; either asus, gigabyte or intel for an intel build.

5. chrisb1978march

Thanks crjdriver! I've just placed an order for a matching pair of the G-Skill on Amazon...that way I shouldn't have any problems! :) well here's hoping!

6. chrisb1978march

Incidentally, I have had this PC for about 3 years now..it was high spec and built to as I wanted it. It still plays todays games on high spec. I haven't got any complaints...although at the time, because of the mb I was severely restricted on the memory that I could use and The board had to be replaced 3 times because of booting problems!

I think when the time comes i'll go with asus...heard a lot of good stuff about their boards...particularly for overclocking!

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the recommended 4 GB(2 GB x 2) kit for that motherboard.

CL=11, 1.35 volt, unbuffered, non-ECC.

The G-skill modules you have listed are 1.65 volt.

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. chrisb1978march

flavallee, the ones I have ordered are the same ones currently installed...they should work shouldn't they?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you check the approved list for your board? Remember there are quite often "issues" with all four slots populated. Just because it works with two memory chips does not mean it will absolutely work with four of those chips. If you purchase memory that has been checked and found to work in the stated configuration, you be be pretty much assured it is going to work.

10. chrisb1978march

Just noticed I hadn't posted a reply to this one.

I went with 2 matched modules of 2gb G-Skill as I already had 4gb. It works perfectly!

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Good job and thanks for following up, it helps other users of the forum.
    (y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1077960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice