1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dead hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DPWFC, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DPWFC

DPWFC Thread Starter

Hello there.

A collegue of mine was just working away on his pc when he got a BSOD with a pfn_list_corrupt error message. Frozen so no option but to peform an illegal shutdown. He was using a software programme he uses every day and has had no crashes/problems recently.

Upon rebooting the pc made 4 'longish' beeps and will not boot to desktop. Just frozen on a black screen. The pc is a dell and upon reading their beep codes it has classified as a RAM/write failure.

I suspect the hard drive is shot. Any thoughts or anything he can try?

thanks for the assistance.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thats more of a memory issue

whats the exact model of the Dell ?
    and the service tag code -on a label on the machine

I would first try reseating the ram or if more than one module - try just one at a time - remember to take anti-static precautions

3. DPWFC

DPWFC Thread Starter

thanks etaf. tried reseating the RAM and same result. It now appears to be beeping 6 times. Ive rechecked the dell beep codes and it appears to be video BIOS test failure. The PC is a Dell Dimension 3000 and serial tag code is 44QMJ1J.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. DPWFC

DPWFC Thread Starter

Sorted it thanks Etaf. I was getting conflicting error codes between the beep codes and the lights on the back. The lights were correct. I have put a couple of fresh sticks of RAM in and it is now running fine. Why it should just suddently go like that I have no idea!

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    electronics -do that all the time - age, usage, heat - they do fail

(y) thanks for letting us know the results, useful for others searching

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice