1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dead netbook. No symptoms. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mapexmbirch, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mapexmbirch

mapexmbirch Thread Starter

I have had this Asus eee PC 1000 for about 6 months, I bought it second hand and it was apparently a year old then. It has a 32gb mini PCI SSD and a 8gb mini PCI SSD 2gb RAM and 1.6GHz intel atom. I had a Linux distro called JoliOS 1.2 which is perfect for netbooks and I had XP on separate partition.

I had a problem with it getting very hot, the only thing I can measure was the CPU and it was about 60C and I have heard that with the Asus eee pc the north bridge is 10C hotter then the CPU and the south bridge is 10C hotter than the north bridge. And the wireless card gets very hot too. And the fan was making a horrible buzzing which was annoying to say the least.

I heard that if you clean them out it improves cooling and reduces noise so I took it apart cleaned out the fan which was covered in dust and I bought new thermal pads as the old ones had dust on them.
    The thermal pads took a while to come in the post, about 2 weeks so it was in parts for a while. When they came I put it back together and it fired up fine booted into XP fine but not JoliOS (I had a slight issues with it before taking it apart).
    I tried reinstalling JoliOS from a memory stick like usually and it keep jamming at the time zone selection. So I thought I would do a memory test. About half way through the mem test I took off the keyboard to see what the temperature was like on the cpu, north and south bridge. It was a bit warm so I put a heat sink off a intel desktop cpu using the old thermal pads and it just died.

None of the LEDs light up not even the charging light. I took it apart again to see if there was anything obvious but nothing.
    I think the motherboard has gone as no lights light up.

Suggestions to why it died? And opinions whether to buy a new motherboard or sell as one or individual parts?

Thanks

2. mapexmbirch

I should say, after putting it back together core temp in XP was saying the temperature was about 30C not 60C.

Yesterday I did a stress test with Prime 95 to see what the temperature was like under load and it got to 38C after about 3 minutes then died (overheated possibly) but it rebooted with no problems.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Something could have shorted. Something could have become disconnected. The CPU could have overheated at some point. It's hard to say. Laptops and books have all kinds of booby-traps for the unsuspecting because things are packed so tightly together. That's why it's best if the manufacturer or someone with experience with a particular model should take it apart.

A board would probably cost as much as the machine, and I doubt anyone would want parts. People usually just toss them and get a new one. But some hobbyist may be interested. Try Craigslist or Ebay.

4. mapexmbirch

Shorting sounds about right, when it died I pressed the heat sink into the aluminium plate which probably shorted something.
    There are second had motherboards on ebay for £15 -£25 and people do sell parts, not for very much though.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you're interested in fixing it.I spotted a working motherboard for £25 on Ebay UK :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asus-Eee-...0?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item19d23f5232
    It says Buy it now or Best offer and they have 2 so you might get it for less..

Be careful though, check the code on your present board matches the one you might buy, there are differing codes on the other boards on Ebay. (the 2 for less than £15 are faulty btw).

6. mapexmbirch

Thanks, I saw that one too, it is 1000H and mine is just 1000. The difference is the 1000 only has mini PCIe slots for SSDs and the 1000H has a sata connection. I think I might buy it and either put a 2.5 HDD or SSD in it. I rather not buy a new SSD though. I think the netbook chassis is the same as the 1000H. I will do some more research into the matter.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Good luck with it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice