1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Debate with roomate over bandwidth usage please help settle... (verizon DSL)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tjamnz, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

Hello,

The debate is simply this:

Ok, we both share an internet connection and he loves to download files with Grabits from our ISP's newsgroup. Many of these files are extremely large avi and mp3 files.

He told me that instead of downloading 8 of these files at one time and using all of the bandwidth, he will download just 4 instead (at once), then instisted that this would make it fair, by using only half of it.

My reasoning is that in most cases it will make no difference and he will still use 75 to 90% of it. I figured that 8 files would max it out and each file download would share bandwidth resources, and reducing the load to 4 files simultaneously would simply increase the resources for the 4 individual files (making them download faster etc...) therefore giving me no real advantage.

I ran a bandwidth test while he was downloading just 4 files and I had 60kbps available, I tried to play an internet game also and my latency was registering at 400 - 500 + which makes for poor game play (lagging bigtime).

Please help me settle this once and for all. Which one of us is right?

If your a network guru or teacher, or degreed in networking please let me know...so I can say the MAN told me so.

Platform(s):
    Win XP Home
    Verizon DSL Bridge (basic service)
    Belkin Router

2. teetdogs

teetdogs

this will still use the same bandwidth it will just use it for shorter. downloads ( espcialy newsgroups ) will use all availible bandwidth ( or at least as much as they can depending on several factors. network congestion, PC speed , etc) so 4 downloads will take just as much bandwidth as 8 lets put it this way i can download 1 file at 800k , 4 files @ 200k each or i can download 8 files at 100k. ( by the way this is just an example to show you how bandwidth gets eaten) so basicly your right.
    I have a degree in computer network engineering so that makes me the MAN ;)

3. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

Is there a configuration I can make to our pc's that would only allow him to use half of it? ie... if he wants to download files and I want to play games at the same time? I would love to be sneaky and implement this change when he isnt around (lol). Im just talking about sharing 50/50 of course.

windows XP
    Belkin 4 port router
    verizon DSL modem

And yes thanks for the update. The information was very helpful. You are da MAN!

Thanks,

tj

4. teetdogs

teetdogs

you can restrict bandwidth but its kinda tricky and involves stuff that I dont have time to go into on here but do a google search for how to restric bandwitdth on a network and see what you come up with.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Since your on DSL why don't you have your roommate DL these files on off peak hours like 3-7 or whenever people are at work I.E. 7-5 or something. There are tons of downloading tools available that will DL on a time basis.

This would allow either of you to play games at the times you are at home.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice