1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Default User Account (Administrator) acts like Standard Account

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kgash, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kgash

kgash Thread Starter

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64x and apparently the default user account (Owner) that I use is not working correctly. Unless I have UAC set to Never Notify, I cannot open Control Panel or UAC again. I have created a second user account as Administrator and it works correctly.

I would like to know if there is any way to fix this problem short of a clean install of Windows. If not, is it possible to move all of my settings to the user account that works correctly and delete the one that does not.

Thanks

2. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

The easiest way to do this is what you have already mentioned. There is no point in spending time troubleshooting if you created a new admin account and it works. Just transfer your files over and wipe out the corrupted account.

..and no, deleting the default admin account is no different than deleting any other account. The default admin has the same permission as any additional admins.

3. kgash

kgash Thread Starter

Thank you for your assistance. Since I have never done this before, is there a proper way to move all of the files and apps to the other account? Can I just drag things from the Owner folders to the folders in the new account?

4. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

That is exactly what you can do since you are an admin. Keep in mind, you might have to re-install some programs, dependant on if they installed for all accounts or not.

5. kgash

kgash Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick and accurate replies.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!