1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Defective Disk How to Retrieve Data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gymant, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gymant

gymant Thread Starter

I am working with a defective Samsung hard drive, model sp2504c. This drive was the primary disk in a HP pavilion desktop and while booting it displays “operating system not found“.

I installed this defective drive in another Computer as a secondary disk, the bios loaded it correctly. My Computer displays the additional defective drive and I can view all the folders. However, I can not open the user folder that was used to log into windows when this disk was active.

In an attempt to fix the defective drive I ran chkdsk /f and Samsung's HUTIL, which produced two surface scan read errors that could not be fixed

I am trying to retrieve data that is in the My Pictures sub folder below the user Documents and Settings folder. I have the password that is required to log into windows when that defective drive was operational.

Question: Is there any way I can open the fold in DOS or MSDOS to input the password and view/copy the data?

Thanks

2. Hughv

Hughv

What do you mean "Cannot open"? Is there an error message?

3. gymant

gymant Thread Starter

The file I am trying to open is on the second (slave) hard drive, in the "Windows" folder that was not used to boot the system. I can view the folders on the second drive. Because I cannot boot to that drive, the message "access denied" displays when I click to open the password protected user folder.

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

I need to clarify - Are you saying you took a Primary drive that was bad and placed it in another computer as the slave to another drive? Therefore the problem is your inability to enter your user account that has been lost on the, now Slave drive, that was orginally the primary? Jazz

5. Hughv

Hughv

6. gymant

gymant Thread Starter

Thanks, I solved the problem by backing up the password protected user file, then restoring the backup file to the drive with the working windows. From there I was able to create the same used name and password which gave me access to the files in question. A bit of a back door way or doing things, but it worked.

Thanks again, I’ll keep the ownership routine on file.

7. gymant

gymant Thread Starter

Yes Jazz, because of disk errors, the drive would not boot on a friends computer. I installed it on my system as a slave drive and was able to see his data, but could not open any files below his user name, because it was password protected. He did not have backups.
    Thanks for your response and your time.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/776583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice