1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Defrag and shut of internet temporailly

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by silverado4, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverado4

silverado4 Thread Starter

1. I did a MS Defrag, and when it just about finished, I got many beeps and the defrag would not finish. After that my system was bringing in multiple programs when I just clicked once. Also gave me a lot of strange beeps, without any prompts. Could defrag cause this problem if it did not finish correctly? Sounds like files didn't get placed in the right area, not sure.

Also, could a virus cause this? I ran mcaffee and malware bytes, and it didn't pick up any virus, so I don't think I have one, but could I have a malware or something like that? I don't think so, mcaffee would have got it.

Also, How can I shut down my internet so I can work on programs just in case some is watching my computer, or hacking.

I think I'm clear on all, but just concerned.

Thanks

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How do you connect to the internet, wired or WiFi?

3. silverado4

I can do both, I am hooked up to a wired router now.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The brand name and model name and model number of the computer and the beep code you hear would be more helpful to us.

Beep codes are a series of long and/or short beeps, and each beep code is associated with a specific issue.

---------------------------------------------------------

5. silverado4

It is Dell XPS 12 gig.
    The beeps are very short, I think it's in windows 7. That's the last sub directory I saw when doing a Virus scan. Files went by too fast to capture what files they beeped on. Very short beeps, no prompt. Virus scan kept going, showed now virus's. I just want to make sure I don't have a concern. I looked at the MBAM log, showed nothing suspicious. I now marked PUP files as a threat. Maybe that will take care of it. I'm now running malware bytes again, should take until 11:30 a.m. or so here in Michigan
    Thanks again.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Dell has both desktops and laptops that come in the XPS model name, and there are several model numbers.

Advise what the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number is on your Dell XPS so we can get it correctly identified.

---------------------------------------------------------

7. silverado4

Service Tag is D7BQFQ1, Desktop

8. silverado4

Dell XPS 8300, sorry

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the Dell support site that's assigned only to your Dell XPS 8300 desktop.

You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

It appears it came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

----------------------------------------------------------

Its beep codes are located on page 31 of its on-line setup guide.

For your convenience, I've submitted an image of that page here so you can view it.

Attached Files:

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If I read post #5 correctly I think the beeps happen during an AV scan. HTH

11. silverado4

Yes, I was going to post it about not beeping at "start up", but only during anti virus scan. I saved the site for dell for future use, very helpful, thanks. I wish I would get a prompt when it beeps to tell me why. I'm going to run a dianostic today on my Dell. Maybe that will tell me, I think it's F12, not sure. Thanks for all your help. I'm not going to close this just yet, going to run test first.

12. silverado4

I ran a dell Through Diagnostic today, ran for 2 hours. All passed.
    1. If I had a Chinese file in my system that would cause a problem, it would not be identified as “Chinese”.
    2. Malware bytes, and Mcafee would have caught it.
    3. Mcafee stops all PUP or bad files from entering the computer.
    4. I’m connected to router by wire, not wi-fi, doesn’t this help in protecting computer?
    5. Is wired better then wi-fi to connect to router?
    Thanks for all you help in this matter, I’m going to consider this matter resolved.

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The beeps might occur when the AV finds something. Does that seem likely to you ?

14. silverado4

I found out yesterday it also beeps during other software programs too. I looked at my security history, I think it's called, in McAfee anti virus. It showed that several attempts from other I.P.'s are trying to get to my computer, but Mcafee "blocked" them. Could it be beeping to let me know when Mcafee "blocks" an suspicious entry? I'm glad it does stop it. I seen several attempts, I'm sure other computers get the same thing too, not just mine.

15. silverado4

I turned on my "wireless" router now, I was "hard wired" to my router before. I'm going to see if I still get beeps. My download speed went from 30mbps to 24mbps, probable due to now on wireless as vs. hard wired.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!