Solved: Defrag/Harddrive Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mandeh

Okay, basically...

My harddrive's space started to whittle down on its own today, moving from 30.3 GB of free space to a mere 9.3 GB of free space (I know I had more free space than 30.3 GB before that; that's just where it was at when I noticed it was going down). I found out that I just had to change the size of the virtual memory to fix this. I moved all of my media files to an external drive, so the only things that are taking up space right now on my computer are programs...yet when I try to run the defragger I get this:

So, whatever it was that was eating my harddrive space is still in my computer, and I don't know how to get rid of the files because I don't know where they're located... My Program Files only take up 2.5 GB of space, so how there's only 23.73 GB of space left is beyond me. I've ran CCleaner and Disk Cleaner, which cleaned about a GB, maybe.

It would be great to figure out how to get rid of these cluttering files, whatever and wherever they are.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
A 149 GB hard drive with less than 24 GB of free space in it? :eek:

Disk Defragmenter needs at least 15% of free space to run, so you're right on the edge of its limit.

You have some serious de-cluttering to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some easy and safe ways to reclaim some hard drive space:

1. Right-click RECYCLE BIN, click Properties, move the slider from 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

2. Right-click MY COMPUTER, click Properties - System Restore(tab), move the slider from 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

3. Delete everything from inside these temp folders:

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp

If a few files resist deletion, leave them alone and delete everything else.

4. Empty the Recycle Bin, then restart your computer.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Mandeh

Did what you said, and space increased from 23.7 to about 29GB, so that was really helpful! Thank you. :D

But I've actually pinpointed the source of the problem...! After digging through my Documents and Settings folder, I found that Yahoo had a 92GB crash log saved on my computer... I didn't know 92GB text documents were possible to have, but all my space came back once I deleted it, so I think my computer's fine now. :)

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
I'm glad you found the problem. (y)

And you're welcome. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online