[Solved] defrag problem (hang)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

calibretto

i've had my computer almost a year and a half now. i've reformatted twice since i've had it, and have never ran defrag that i can remember. that's bad, i know. lately my computer has been running rather slowly and i'm assuming that defrag needs to be ran. the problem is i run defrag over night and i check it the next day and it hasn't moved from 0%. that can't be right can it? 0%? i'd think it should atleast be past 0% after running for 9 hours. i know defrag sometimes takes a while and i know it'd probably take a long time to defrag my computer since it's pretty much never been defragged, but still being on 0% after 9 hours?? can anyone help me with this? let me know what could be wrong? thanks.

A corrupt Applog folder is the most common cause of Defrag hanging so early in the process. But before running defrag, you should do a Disk Cleanup to eliminate unnecessary files in the Temp directories and Recycle bin

This link gives instructions for doing that and deleting the Applog folder. (It is a "hidden" file so you will have to have "show all files" checked in Folder Options>View to find it)

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q218/1/60.ASP

If you have problems with Defrag continually restarting, try doing a ctrl-alt-del and end-tasking everything but Explorer and Systray. If it still restarts, run it in safe mode

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q186/9/78.ASP

;) Start your computer in "safe mode" by tapping the F8 key while booting up. Defrag will not run correctly, if at all, with other programs running in the background. Safe Mode will load only the necessary components and you should then be able to run the Defrag program. Hope this helps. KW1

calibretto

thanks for the help, guys. i deleted the applog folder and ran defrag. this time it finished in a matter of a few hours. it's weird how one little folder kept me from running scandisc or defrag.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online