1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Defragging Problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by fubart, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fubart

fubart Thread Starter

After 6 months of good use, I decided to defrag Drive C. Here's the problem. Of my two options, "Rearranging program files" will only complete 10% then goes back to start--this cycle went on for 13 hours. "Check drive for errors" only completes 1% before endlessly returning to start. My os is Win98 on a P2-350 which has defragged no problem several times. I'm not noticing any dramatic problems anywhere else.

I haven't been this hopelessly fragged since playing Quake 3 against my son. Help would be appreciated.

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi fubart,
    See what you have running in the background. Go to the clock on the right and right click each icon and disable them. then try to defrag

3. brianF

brianF

4. rugrat

rugrat

The most common reason for defrag to loop is you have something running in the background. Ensure all other programs are shutdown including any screensaver, then try again.

Also if you have MS Office installed, it comes with a program called find fast that is always running in the background trying to index files. It needs to be shut off in the control panel.

Hope it helps

5. rugrat

rugrat

And Brian wins again!!!

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

or shutdown & come back into safe-mode & do your total maintenance... nothing runs in safe mode in the background

just hold the shift key down when it starts booting back up

7. fubart

fubart Thread Starter

Many thanks to all you guys for your collective advice ... worked like a charm. Now, if you could just straighten out my love life ......

8. fubart

fubart Thread Starter

Apologies to Savvy Lady! I made some gender dangerous assumptions ... (which might explain my love life).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!