1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: defragmentation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Miles Right, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Miles Right

Miles Right Thread Starter

Can somebody please explain this to me? When i check to see how much my disc is defragmented i get a list of files that are defragmented, many of wwhich i haven't used since I last defraged. Why has the pc taken it upon itself to move about files that WERE defragemnted and which i haven't used. Surely this is taking up resources whilst the pc is attending to the tasks I WANT it to do?

Any Answers please?

2. HCD

HCD

The PC seeks to rearrange clusters of data on an ongoing basis. It shifts data bits around every time it performs a function for you - often moving bits of files that aren't in use in order to create space for filling gaps with new data or files.

Might not answer all your question but you might try the following links.

http://divp-proj.org/archives/2008/07/16/defragmentation-explained/. This deals with generic subject.

http://www.diskmagik.com/frag.html. This gives you some detail that might leave you with too much....!

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

The PC does not rearrange data on an on going basis.

Any new files have a chance of being fragmented, as well as any files that were updated.

But, files not involved in these types of operations do not just arbitrarily get moved around by windows.

Miles Right
    If these are system files there is chance they have been involved in defrag operations that occur on a minimum of every 3 days when the PC is idle, and is being done in an attempt to optimize the startup of applications as well as boot up. There is chance that as a result of this that some files were not completedly defragged.
    OR, the files you are seeing as still fragmented, were in that state at the end of the last defrag.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Windows Vista Disk Defragmenter is on and set to a schedule by default so actually it depends on what the definition of "PC" is and what the situation is, as to whether data is being rearranged (optimized) on an ongoing basis.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Fair enough, but the comment I was responding to was indicating that Windows was doing this "rearranging" "every time it performs a function for you - often moving bits of files that aren't in use in order to create space for filling gaps with new data or files."

6. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

This is also XP forum. So, without further input from OP, we must assume XP and not Vista.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice