1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Delay in displaying desktop directory

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Peano, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peano

Peano Banned Thread Starter

W7 64-bit

This just started today.Example: I'm in Photoshop and go to open a file that's on the desktop, I click the "Open" icon and navigate to the desktop. Normally the desktop directory displays immediately. This morning it began delaying about five or six second before displaying. Same delay when I go to save a file to the desktop. Doesn't happen when I go to other directories; just the Desktop.

Here's what I see (for five seconds or so) when I navigate to the Desktop:

[​IMG]

Since this delay happens with several applications, I'm assuming it is related to Win7 and not to any particular application. Any idea what might be causing it?

2. Peano

One bit of additional info: If I'm in Photoshop (just for example) and go to File > Open and navigate through directories, they all populate instantly, even those that have several thousand images in them. Only when I reach the desktop do I get a delay of five or six seconds before it populates.

Most of what is on my desktop are shortcuts to various directories. I emptied the trashcan and ran a full virus scan (found and quarantined one threat), but that didn't make any difference.

Very puzzling, especially since it started literally overnight. Last night when I shut down, everything was normal. This morning, i started getting these delays first thing.

3. Peano

More information ...

I created a new folder on the desktop and dragged all shortcuts into it. Left all other desktop files and folders in place.

Now when I navigate to the desktop from File > Open or File > Save As from inside any application, the desktop icons populate immediately. If I double-click the folder with the shortcuts, that now delays populating the way the desktop was doing previously.

So the shortcuts are causing the delay. If anyone has a guess as to why, I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks.

4. Megabite

Megabite

How many Desktop short cuts are we talking about here....just the batch that open slow

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good troubleshooting! :) I'm sorry that I have nothing technical to contribute to your issue.

I don't know if this is related, and I'm not asking for help on it, but throwing it out because it similarly is something that was fast and has now slowed. In both my Windows 7 systems a right click on a file, folder or shortcut used to bring up the menu immediately. Several weeks ago, about the time of the Dec. Tuesday updates, almost all right clicks now take 2 or even 3 seconds to bring up the menu.

6. Peano

15 ... they go to various folders in My Docs. A few go directly to files (like Word or Excel files), but mostly to folders that I access frequently.

EDIT: I opened a directory and dragged 20 folders (not shortcuts) onto the desktop. Those icons populate immediately when I navigate to them. So it seems clearly to be the shortcuts -- and not really all that many of them.

7. Megabite

Megabite

Ok try separate the ones that got to folders and see how the other ones open........also if that doesn't work try removing the Desktop shorts and re making them. Also have you defragged lately?

8. Peano

OK, I tried a bunch of shortcuts that go directly to files. They cause a delay.
    Put those back and tried a bunch that go to folders. They also cause a delay.
    Tried creating new shortcuts. They also cause a delay.

I have defrag scheduled to run once a week. It shows 0% fragmented.

9. Megabite

Megabite

Understood...

Bring the Task Manager and click on processes and see wht the CPU usage is and the Memory Usage

Did you recieve any windows updates last night?

10. Peano

CPU usage is very low, 0-5%, a bit higher if I use Firefox to navigate to the desktop. Memory is steady at 1.43 GB (I have 8 GB of memory).

Last Windows updates were at 12/15/2010. I never let those run automatically. I have it alert me when updates are available, and then I monitor what gets installed.

11. Megabite

Megabite

Well nothing there then...

what protection program are you running?

12. Peano

Ah ha!! That's it. I'm using Avast antivirus. I temporarily disabled that and it stopped the delays. So I went into Real Time Scanning > Exclusions and ticked the box to exclude the folder that has all the shortcuts in it. Now when I navigate to that folder, the icons populate instantly.

For some reason, excluding the Desktop doesn't have the same effect. If there are shortcuts on the Desktop, I still get a delay. So I'll just stick with keeping all shortcuts in their own folder on the Desktop.

Thanks for all the help! I do appreciate it.

13. Megabite

Megabite

No probs....so we got is solved 80%.....:)

14. Peano

Make that 100%. When I excluded the Desktop from Real Time Shields, I must not have been holding my mouth right. Tried that again, and now the Desktop is excluded. No more delays there either.

I suspect that other antivirus programs could cause similar delays.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!