1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Delayed Write Failed Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maxwell4jfhgd6, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxwell4jfhgd6

maxwell4jfhgd6 Thread Starter

I am running XP Pro SP3 (with all relevant MS updates) and up to about 1 week ago my 4 month old Seagate Expansion 1Tb external hard drive was recognised by my Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop (3Gb ram) when plugged into a back USB port. There is no OS on the external drive and I have never had any problem having the drive connected when booting - it always connected and I was able to easily copy to and from it, do system backups etc.

I am now consistently getting the following error message. (See image #4 immediately below)

[​IMG]

There are 4 USB ports - 2 at the back and 2 at the right side. I have tried the device in all USB ports with the same result yet other USB devices such as memory sticks etc function well.

As you will see in the next image the external drive is being recognised by the Device Manager (see below image)

[​IMG]

Is listed under My Computer (see below image)

[​IMG]
    And is also listed under the USB Safely Remove software (see below image)

[​IMG]

As you will see from the following Computer Management screenshot (below) the drive is not being recognized yet it is connected.

[​IMG]

The files on the external drive are still viable even though it appears they have all vanished. The drive content is not being read thus I have the problem of gaining access to them.

There were no drivers with the device as most if not all large external HD are just plug and play.

I considered it could have been a device item and that perhaps I had somehow missed one at Micosoft so I search and ran the MS updater and it found the following which was never updated on my laptop so I installed it.

KME Inc. - Input - USB Human Interface Device
    Date last published: 1/9/2009 - Download size: 22 KB
    KME Inc. Input software update released in September, 2008

I then cold booted my system but I am still getting the same error despite the above install so clearly that was not the problem.

The odd thing is that the external drive seems to work with files accessible until one uses the Windows Explorer file manager on the drive. Then - within seconds - the drive is again useless.

I am at a loss on what to do to resolve the situation and any assistance provided to remove this problem would be very much appreciated indeed.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Have you checked the connections to the disk inside the caddy.
    Also have you tried a different USB cable.Also the power cable.
    Delayed write errors are very often down to the connections being lost for some reason.

3. maxwell4jfhgd6

Firstly - Thank you so much for your reply.
    • The connections to the disk inside the caddy have been checked and are OK.
    • I am unable to try a different USB cable as it is device specific with a very small plug that inserts into the device.
    • I have had the power cable checked and that is OK also.
    I would be happy to wipe out the device if only I could get it firmly recognized so I could transfer all the data it holds. The very odd thing here is that sometimes it loads perfectly and then fails and other times it doesn't get recognized at all and I get the Unknown Device item listed in my Device Manager.

A friend asked me if the device had somehow gone into read only mode but the fact is I am unable to find out if this is the case or not.

The entire device was working perfectly as of approx. 1 week ago. It has not been moved, dropped or damaged in any way since that time and I am ( as you will be aware ) at a total loss as to what to do.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try turning off caching on that drive to help prevent this error in the future (Device Manager). The file system on the drive is gone/damaged and it is not recognized as containing any partitions. That is why it does not appear in Disk Management. Windows sees an empty drive.

Recover the lost partition using Parted Magic (Includes Testdisk for partition recovery)
    Testdisk (for Windows)
    Testdisk Boot Floppy Image
    Testdisk on Live CD.

There are many commercial tools for this, too, like Paragon Hard Drive Manager, but Testdisk is just as good as most of them, though less user-friendly.

5. DaveBurnett

6. maxwell4jfhgd6

Elvandil - " Try turning off caching on that drive to help prevent this error in the future (Device Manager). The file system on the drive is gone/damaged and it is not recognized as containing any partitions. That is why it does not appear in Disk Management. Windows sees an empty drive."

Thank you for your reply - much appreciated. I have done that and rebooted etc - made little difference however immediately prior to writing this I had done the following:

Disconnected and turned off the external device.
    Reconnected and plugged the device into laptop.
    Cold booted the laptop.
    The device is currently being recognised by the Device Manager - see image below.

[​IMG]
    When it malfunctions ( Delayed Write Failed Error ) I get this - see below image.

[​IMG]
    and this -

[​IMG]

Dave - again - thank you. I will certainly look into your advice re the cable.

What I can't get my head around is that I can boot the laptop with the device connected; that it is being read by the Device Manager as can be seen above but that when I use the Windows File Manager the device fails. I have read heaps of problems re large USB external drives with my problem on the www. from as far back as at least 2007 however there were no answers that I am courageous enough to attempt.

I did see something about a Hotfix - WindowsXP-KB908673-v2-x86-ENU.exe but am not certain that it was for SP3 so I have not made any effort to search for that file as there was no URL provided.

I am not prepared to give up - every problem has an answer.

7. DaveBurnett

Just in case and it won't hurt but might help.
    USB is plug and play so it will not hurt if you delete all the USB devices in device manager. They will all be detected again when you plug something in, but the important thing is that the drivers will all be reinstalled.
    You will have to reboot twice to get them loaded properly.

8. maxwell4jfhgd6

Hi Dave

My grateful thanks once again :)

I am going to try your latest advice however at the risk of coming across as totally dumb ( which I am not but I am happy to admit I am not computer technically inclined. ) Could you please tell me which specific items on the list in the image below I am to delete so I don't make a huge error.
    • All the Intel items
    • Just the USB Composite Device
    • All the USB Root hubs
    • Everything listed
    . . . And does the item Universal Serial Bus Controllers get deleted as well if I am to delete everything listed?

[​IMG]

At Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575 it states -

To remove and reinstall all USB controllers, follow these steps:
    • Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
    • Click the Hardware tab.
    • Click the Device Manager button.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
    • Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.
    • Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.
    Trouble is as I read the above it would suggest that I remove everything but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should try the drive on another computer to narrow the problem down to either the laptop or the external drive.

10. maxwell4jfhgd6

Hi Triple6

Thanks very much for your response. I apologise - I should have mentioned this earlier but I have connected the external drive to both an Acer laptop and a non branded desktop and it works perfectly so it seems the problem is within my Dell laptop.

11. DaveBurnett

All of them

12. maxwell4jfhgd6

Hi Dave

Thank you so much. I know that yourself and others have given freely of your time and gone to much trouble to assist in this matter. I am truly appreciative. I will delete them all tomorrow as per your advice and will let you know how it all goes.

13. maxwell4jfhgd6

Hi Dave

Deleting all those Universal Serial Bus Controllers listings and then rebooting twice did the trick. All re the external drive is functioning perfectly again. This has been a great learning curve for me and I sincerely appreciate the generosity and patience shown by all who responded especially yourself.

Thanks guys for your time and expertise . . .

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

For future reference, and just in case, you may also need to delete even invisible, previous devices from USB at times in order to solve this type of problem. The number of them can get quite high if you use many different devices and if they are re-recognized as "new" devices from time to time.

USB Device Cleanup

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice