(Solved) delete autocomplete address

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
I take it you mean the internet addresses. In internet explorer, tools, internet options, content, autocomplete, uncheck the boxes for "use autocomplete for web addresses, ok, apply, ok.

If you turn off autocomplete that will stop them form showing up when you type them but they are still there when you turn it back on.

I did some more research and found this in a November 2000 posting :There are 2 ways that address may remain to be seen by others.
1) If you hit the drop down arrow, and see a bunch of addresses that you want to get rid of, these can be deleted by clearing the history in Internet Explorer:

Go to "Tools" then "Internet Options" then use the "Clear History" Button or just to clear the dropdown list in the searchbar to to Start/Settings/Taskbar & Start Menu/Start Menu Programs/click Clear.

2) The second way that an old address will come back to haunt you:
If you start to type, and the address of a site that you have visited before, appears in the address bar, then the site is stored in your favorites folder, and needs to be deleted from there.

If you don't want anyone to see where you've been surfing, clear the history, and don't store these pages in your favorites, because even if you give them a different name in favorites, the real url will appear on your address bar when you type the first few letters of it.

END OF QUOTE

I probably did an overkill but I exported my favorites and cookies then deleted both and went into DOS and did a deltree of index.dat, history, and cookies. The only urls that came up when I start typing were two shortcuts I had on my desktop and shortcuts on my taskbar. The only problem is when you put your favorites back,the urls come back. At least you now know how to be rid of the little devils for as long as you can get by without your favorites.

If you want a program to do this and a lot more try here:

http://www.swanksoft.com/historykill/

I haven't used it but have heard it is great.

Deke

jerry smith

I'm doing this for my sister and I misunderstood, it's when she's typing in a search at google or hotbot etc. and it brings up all that she'd done before she likes using the feature but now its so cluttered

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online