1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Delete System Restore Points

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jimtalbert, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimtalbert

Jimtalbert Thread Starter

I understand that keeping old system restore points in WinXP clutters up the hard drive. I would like to delete some of my older ones that are no longer of any value but can't determine how/where to delete them.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jim
    I am not running XP but from what I understand WinME and XP run the same basic Restore systems. Given that fact you cannot specifically target certain dates for removal but you can pull back on the amount of space allocated to system restore and it will then remove the oldest dates kept until it pulls itself back to within your parameters.
    To do this you must go to control panel\system\performance\file system and draw back the slider to a lesser amount of usable storage. I would suggest using smaller increments and monitoring the amount of days deleted each time till you have achieved the level you feel comfortable with.

Dave

3. Jimtalbert

Dave, thanks for the lightning fast response! Sounds like that solution will work for now and keep on working.
    I really do appreciate you guys & gals who are so willing to share your knowledge with the unlearned!

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jim
    No problem thats what we are here for and enjoy doing.
    Let us know how it turns out for you.
    Dave

5. Jimtalbert

Hi, Dave. XP is different, unfortunately. There is no performance tab under system. I located a performance button under advanced on one of the system tabs but it didn't have a slider or any reference to System Restore.

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jim
    The way system restore works is basically the same unfortunatly the controls are located in different spots. You have to love Microsoft! Anyway digging around I finally found an article that explains how to adjust the slider and where it is located.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=r...TF-8&selm=e#[email protected]&rnum=8
    Sorry about the inconvienence!
    Anyway here are two other interesting articles about system restore in XP.
    Disk space by percentage
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q298915
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302479

Let us know if that helps.

Dave

7. Jimtalbert

Hi, Dave. Thanks for the good info. I have located the slider and reduced it from the initial max setting to the next-to-smallest setting. I think that will provide enough capacity for my needs, but I'll check it periodically to be sure.

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jim
    Glad you got it sorted and set!
    Have a great day!
    Dave

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/87293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice