1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Delete Windows 7 Printer Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by cgheilman, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cgheilman

cgheilman Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have Windows 7 Professional, and I have an HP LaserJet 1200 printer I print to via a Macintosh. 7 sees the printer fine and connects fine, but I installed the HP Universal Print Driver 6.0, which is supposedly buggy. So now when I try to print, I only get print gibberish.

I have tried every possible way imaginable to change the driver manually, but I can't find out how to change or delete it. Does anyone know how? This is incredibly annoying becuase I can't print from my primary computer!

Other than this annoyance, I love 7!

Thanks in advance.

Christian

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

So you are running boot camp or parallels on that MAC, or am I missing something?

3. cgheilman

cgheilman Thread Starter

No, sorry for the confusion.

The LaserJet 1200 is connected via USB to an iMac. The iMac and my desktop are connected on the wireless network. My desktop connects to the LaserJet via the iMac.

Because the printer isn't plugged in directly via USB it doesn't show up in the device manager, which is why I'm having so many problems.

Thanks for your help!

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Does it show up in printers in control panel? if so right click it and select delete. Then after it is done click File>Server properties>drivers tab, if the printer driver shows in there, delete it also. Restart the PC.

5. cgheilman

cgheilman Thread Starter

I've heard that direction, but there's no file menu in Windows 7. There are only two buttons to "add a device" or "add a printer" where the file menu usually is.

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

They hide it, go to Organize>layout> select menu bar

7. cgheilman

cgheilman Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I don't think the same instructions apply in 7. I have attached my printers and devices screen.

Am I missing it somewhere?

Thanks!

Christian

Attached Files:

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

HP Laserjet 1200 on macintosh right click-delete, it should remove the driver also.

yup no menu bar, they are always changing things.

9. cgheilman

cgheilman Thread Starter

Unfortunately (again) I tried that. It deletes, and when I re-add it it "remembers" that it uses the new HP Driver that has errors...

This is incredibly frustrating. Do you have any more ideas?

Thanks!

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

While you are in printers

3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".

4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printer and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.

5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".

6. Try to remove all related printer software.

found it here
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...g/thread/395fd3c0-e6b3-420c-af4c-541b28dfce70

11. cgheilman

cgheilman Thread Starter

Ahh! When I right-click a blank part of the window "Run As Administrator" doesn't show up. It's organizational things, Add Printer, Add Device, and Device Manager.

I don't know why they felt the need to change it so drastically from Vista.

Any help is more than appreciated!

12. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I think the problem is that you are getting the MAC driver installed or linked to and the Windows 7 is NOT being used.

13. cgheilman

cgheilman Thread Starter

That's not the case because I manually installed the HP Universal Driver 6 myself. Because I installed that driver, Windows 7 won't delete it so I can go back to version 5.

Any ideas? Thanks again!

14. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Is this Windows machine running a 64 bit version of Windows?

15. cgheilman

cgheilman Thread Starter

No, it's running Windows 7 32 bit.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/866290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice