1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Deleted all kexts, now computer doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Kext, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kext

Kext Thread Starter

I was having the problem with kernel_task, so, in an effort to fix it, I deleted all the .kext files in system-library-extensions. All of them. Now my computer will not turn on. The apple logo appears and the booting-up bar fills halfway and then stops. This is on a 2012 MacBook Air running Yosemite. I think it's the latest version. Please help.

2. Headrush

Headrush

You are going to have to boot into Recovery Mode or Internet Recovery Mode and re-install.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Do NOT format the hard drive, as you can install and preserve your user accounts.

In the future, deleting KEXTs vary rarely will solve any problems. (Unless you've been messing around with them)
    Most issues would likely be corrupted files elsewhere in the system. If a KEXT itself is corrupted it shouldn't even load.

3. Kext

Kext Thread Starter

Thank you. I have used Internet Recovery Mode to wipe my computer and reinstall Lion. It now works.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!