1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Deleted files do not go to the recycle bin.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Amandas_Art, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amandas_Art

Amandas_Art Thread Starter

Hello!

I had to reformat my hard drive in April due to a virus problem. I had a tech guy from Geeks on Call walk me through it and used all the proper CDs and necessary drivers according to him and Dell technical support both.

On a side note, Dell Technical Support is a nightmare. Geeks on Call was great though.

Anyway I am not pressing shift-delete. The "do not move files to recycle bin" box is not checked in the recycle bin's properties. It is set to take up to 100% of the drive if necessary. I currently run AVG, Ad Aware, and Spybot religiously as well as having Spybot T-Timer running at all times.

The Dell people said to reinstall Windows after a two hour chat session. Since reinstalling windows (following all directions, mind you) is what got me into this mess I would rather not do that. I do back up my data to an external hard drive but it still took me forever to get my laptop up and running after reformatting.

Nothing appears in the recycle bin- not when I use the delete key, not when I right click and select delete, not when I drag the files to the recycle bin.

I use Windows XP, I have done the service pack 2 thing, and this is all on a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop.

Help? :confused:

2. Augie65

Augie65

This works sometimes, so just try.
    Delete any file (just to make sure there's something in the bin).

Then, with the Recycle Bin CLOSED (do not open it), right click the Recycle Bin desktop icon, select: Empty Recycle Bin, and when the Confirm File Delete dialog box comes up, click the OK button. Then reboot your system.

3. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

Is Norton, which comes on some Dell Laptops, running also? You did a restore so I am wondering, since you mentioned AVG (Grisoft's I assume). Sometimes, while you have to envoke Norton the first time, it runs in the Systray. It will put all items into it's own Recycle Bin where you can view them and then move them to the XP Recycle Bin or delete them directly.

5. Amandas_Art

Nothing can be put into the Recycle bin.

Tried it already. Didn't work.

I think I had Macaffe or whatever originally, but I uninstalled it a while ago in favor of AVG.

Here is something interesting! I have a backup hard drive hooked up right now, and when I delete something from that hard drive it shows up in the recycle bin. But things deleted from the local harddrive don't show up.

6. Augie65

Augie65

Try this:
    Open a command prompt (Start > Run > type cmd >OK)

At the prompt type and enter:

rd /s c:\recycler
    (This is if your file system is NTFS)

rd /s c:\recycled
    (This is if your file system is FAT32)
    Then reboot

7. Amandas_Art

IT DID IT! Thank you! What did you do? What was broken?

8. Augie65

Augie65

That command deletes the recycle bin folder and on reboot a new one is created. You probably had a corrupted file, so this deleted and created a new one. Glad that it worked for you, if you get a chance, mark this solved from the drop down on thread tools> Marked Solved.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!