Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Deleted HP Recovery Partition, Need it back

37K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  blegs38552 
#1 ·
Preface:
I have an external hard drive and i attempted to install XP on it, using my Notebook. Before, my Notebook Recognized my Partition as the D drive and the External hard drive as the F. I booted the XP disk, and all seemed well, until I realized my computer flipped my drives, and so I installed XP on the partition space and left the external hard drive untouched. No biggie. Vista still ran fine.

The Problem:
Few weeks later i cant update anything, (i.e. windows update, windows defender, norton, ad-aware etc.) but yet my internet browsing abilities were unaffected. I ran a google search and took a few steps to fix this but nothing (registry edit - HKEY editing, and services.msc editing, and some cmd commands) but nothing worked. Since my HP was still under warranty i contacted an HP rep, we did a few things, and he told me i was missing some system files and so i needed my recovery partition to fix this. I explained to him what happened, so he told me i was going to have to purchase the DVDs from HP and that i could not use a vista disk i had, since it was made for all vista models, and that i needed a manufactures recovery disk. I dont want to purchase the DVDs. Is there anything i can do to fix this, or somewhere i can get the DVD image(legally obcourse) to the HP Vista Disk.

P.S. When I attempt to run a windows update i get error Code 80244019

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
You need to buy the disks from HP or go out and purchase a full version of an OS.

The disks that come with that machine are "customized" by HP and are not the standard version that MS makes. The MBR is HP's, the drivers are theirs, and they have made changes to the OS. Even the product keys belong to them and will not work on any other version of Windows except theirs. And the version is also specifc to that machine model.

If the recovery partition is gone, with all the Windows installation files, there is no getting it back except by using their DVD's.

Otherwise, you can wipe the whole system clean and buy your own version to install.

#4 ·
I've never seen Elvandil be wrong yet

Apparently, You didn't make your HP recovery DVDs yet.
See if you can still get to the HP tools and Burn your own Recovery DVDs

You will not be able to recover the Recovery partition .. or make the recovery DVDs ..
If the information in the recovery partition has been rewritten (written over)

HP recovery DVDs are much cheaper than a new OS version.
Replacing the OS will not recover the recovery partition ..
It will not restore the HP supplied applications ...
And it WILL void the warranty

#5 ·
Ok, one of my friends has an HP notebook, he purchased it around the same time as me, and he also runs vista, if we both have Vista Home Premium, can I just make a recovery dvd on his computer and run it on mine, or maybe partition my hard drive and just basically recreate his partition onto mine, using copy and paste?

#6 ·
It's a long shot .. But Maybe .. as long as it's the exact same model number computer.
Copy - Paste is not an option.

But .. in one of my HP computers .. If I try to do an application recovery ..
and it can't find the recovery partition - Because I've removed it ..
It will ask for the recovery DVDs

#7 ·
I tried to make my own recovery disk but I need my partition to make the disks.

I know for a fact his HP model is different than mine. I mean shouldn't the recovery disks work for mine as well? His Vista looked like a mirror image of mine. Same programs and everything.

#10 ·
YES .. They will put your computer back to Brand New .. as shipped from HP

Why did you try to pt the OS on an external .. You can't do that - unless you can boot eSATA.
You can make a backup "Image" data file of any, or all partitions .. that can be used for recovery.

I use this method as my first order backup ..
The recovery DVDs are in case all fails .. or I want to go back to as Shipped from HP.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm

#12 ·
I thought I knew what alaariadh was trying to say ...
And it might have worked if the Recovery partition hadn't been corrupted and lun7200 had the extra hardware and software.
I would have welcomed alaariadh to the TSG forum .. if it hadn't been such a Rude post.

#13 ·
For future reference, it might be a good idea to create disk images of all partitions, including the recovery partition using Norton Ghost or another similar package soon after installation (I do this right after I have installed a security package and all Windows Updates and patches). In this way, you can quickly recover from any disaster without having to reinstall the O/S and download all of the updates again.

#15 ·
Just curious for the benefit of other users - is there any reason (aside from cost) why your prefer Acronis to Ghost? My experience with Ghost 14 has been excellent (and since I already paid for it, I'm not going back now). The main thing is that it enables me to create full and incremental backups and to restore the image from a rescue CD.

#16 ·
I was cautions .. and didn't say it was my preference .. But it is.
Just reading here at TSG .. It looks like it's the most popular.

It's my personal experience that ATI is more reliable.
And there's been a few Ghost problem fixed at TSG .. by switching to ATI.
I'm waiting to see if this is another one .. http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/809734-norton-ghost-error.html#post6569710

I haven't checked lately .. But I think it's cheaper and does more.
I think Macrium Reflect Free will do all the basic functions of ATI ..
but you have to pay extra to get the additional features of ATI ... or maybe Ghost ??

Like you say .. Once you get your backups established with a specific program ..
You're kinda stuck with it.

ATI can do all that .. can Ghost mount backup images as virtual HDs and read them ??

#18 ·
I'm not sure what you were trying to do ..
But you could have backed up your Laptop to the external .. and saved it as a Data file in the external ..
Or you could have Cloned to the external "thingy" .. for a bootable backup HD to use in an emergency.

But you can't Boot from the external.

I do both.

#19 ·
I was cautions .. and didn't say it was my preference .. But it is.
Just reading here at TSG .. It looks like it's the most popular.

It's my personal experience that ATI is more reliable.
And there's been a few Ghost problem fixed at TSG .. by switching to ATI.
I'm waiting to see if this is another one .. http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/809734-norton-ghost-error.html#post6569710

I haven't checked lately .. But I think it's cheaper and does more.
I think Macrium Reflect Free will do all the basic functions of ATI ..
but you have to pay extra to get the additional features of ATI ... or maybe Ghost ??

Like you say .. Once you get your backups established with a specific program ..
You're kinda stuck with it.

ATI can do all that .. can Ghost mount backup images as virtual HDs and read them ??
Norton can mount the backup images as virtual HDs and read them

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.