1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Deleted partitions, No bootmanager, Stuck at Expanding Windows files 0%

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by johnpepper, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnpepper

johnpepper Thread Starter

I wanted to install a fresh installation of windows 7 on my computer so I decided to load up my boot disc.

1. I deleted my partitions until I had a maximum of 233gb of free space.
    2. I created a new partition from the free space. Windows setup suggested to make a primary partition of 100 mb.
    3. System created two new partitions. One is primary partition (233 gb), the other is the system partition (100 mb)
    4. Proceeded to install windows on the new partition created.
    5. Copying windows files went from 0% to 100% instantly
    6. Stuck at Expanding windows files at 0%.
    7. Restarted my computer to boot up windows to see what's wrong.
    8. Windows boot manager is missing, only thing I can do is reinstall windows but I can't
    9. Can't do a startup repair cause it fails.
    10. Did a cmd command for bootrec.exe /FixMbr and bootrec.exe /Fixboot and both operations are successful. However, still can't load up windows desktop.

Problem: I deleted my partitions and created new ones but I can't install windows onto the partition because the screen is stuck at expanding windows files at 0%. I got an error: 0x80070017. Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing.

I also can't load into windows desktop because bootmanager is missing.

What should I do? I also can't do an upgrade installation because it requires me to load into windows desktop before I can load the disc for upgrade installation.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why were you reinstalling? Were there problems before?

A 100 MB partition is of no use for anything. You may want to consider one large partition or one at least 100 GB.

Get a bootable hard drive test from your drive's manufacturer and see what results.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications (many require Windows):
    HD Tune
    Ariolic Disk Scanner (Checks disk for read errors)
    Manufacturer's Tests
    Victoria for DOS
    Victoria for Windows (Both versions of Victoria are among the best and most thorough tests available.)
    CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and temporary bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

3. johnpepper

There were no problems, I just wanted a fresh installation. Also the 100 MB partition was just the system partition.
    I tried installing windows into the system partition, which is over 200 gb.

When I said I had two new partitions, I was referring to the system partition and the primary partition.

And any of those programs wouldn't help me anyways. I would need to load up into desktop mode in order to run those tests. Keep in mind that I can't load windows without bootmanager. It doesn't exist, and I can't repair it as far as I'm concerned.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Windows 7 prefers to create a 100 MB Active partition for the Master Boot Record. You don't have to let it have its way, but it doesn't hurt anything unless you have a shortage of primary partitions.

Why can't you? Have you made sure that the optical drive is still the first boot device?

5. johnpepper

Yeah it should be.

I'm trying to install windows and I loaded the system from my DVD. It's stuck on Expanding Windows files 0%. Then a prompt comes up mentioning an error.
    Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the application. Error code: 0x80070017. Something along the lines of that.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, I missed that Error in your original post.

With luck that was just a glitch, and it will install next try. But, it probably means there is a problem with the DVD or the optical drive is having trouble reading it. I wouldn't rule out a possible hard drive problem.

7. johnpepper

There was a problem with the DVD like you said, I guess a file was missing or something. Probably because the disk wasn't in the best condition. Maybe a small little scratched impacted the disk data. So, I decided to replace the disk with another copy. The process worked afterwards, thank you for your help by the way, it solved my problem.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

It doesn't take much. Often you can't even see the scratch or dust or grease or whatever.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice