1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) deleting a file with a long name

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gruff91, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gruff91

gruff91 Thread Starter

accidently downloaded a file that has a very long name and i can't delete it because of this!!
    N E solutions?

Cheers

2. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

can you rename it?

MDM

3. gruff91

gruff91 Thread Starter

nope tried that but wont allowit, can't move it either, just coz of the lenth, i think i've solved it i need to do it through msdos, well so a m8 says.
    cheers

4. suzi

suzi

What kind of file is it? What is the file extenstion? It's possible it could be a virus, trojan or spyware. Did you run an AV scan?

Also you said you accidently downloaded it - how did it happen?

If I were you, I would run Spybot and see if that takes care of it. If you are not familiar with Spybot, take a look in the security forum because there are several threads there about it.

5. Rockn

Rockn

You can delete it, but I think you need to be in DOS to do it. I have seen this before and had the same situation years ago.

6. steamwiz

steamwiz

7. The_Egg

The_Egg

8. steamwiz

steamwiz

So there are ;)

Spoilt for choice :)

9. gruff91

gruff91 Thread Starter

Yer i did it by moving deleting the folder and moving the files i wanted to another, thaks to t link from The Egg, thanks every1 else 4 help but i think that was easiest, don't know why i didnt try that in the fist place.
    Thanks prob solved.
    :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice