1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Deleting domains in registry

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Larkru, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Larkru

Larkru Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I noticed that the greatest time consumption when doing a registry scan on my laptop takes place in the following path:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\Zone Map\Domains

Many of the domain names that appear in this path are places visited online which I can recognize. Broadband connection doesn't require the kind of caching needed prior to this technology. I feed my curiosity about the most mundane topics and spend hours a day on the net. I rarely return to the same site unless I find it useful...then I bookmark the site.

My question: Can I delete this seeming history of domains visited from the registry without fear of creating a catastrophic situation when searching the net?

I appreciate your collective wisdom. Thank you.

Larry

2. Claymore

Claymore

Zone Map is typically empty. These are sites that have security attributes set in Internet Options => Security. I imagine you can delete them. You can always - and should - Export (backup ) this key before deletion.

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Domains

This is where the IE Restricted Sites list is maintained. If you have run SpyBot it will have populate this key.

If the "registry scan" you are running is part of a "cleaner", I would recommend not using it. Do a search here for Registry Cleaners to see the type of damage these programs can cause.
    The important bottom line is that they perform no useful function and do not result in any increase in performance.

4. Larkru

Larkru Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Claymore, I exported both the domains and ranges folders to a flash drive and deleted the folders in the Zone Map folder. I ran CCleaner, rebooted my laptop and ran my "registry cleaner" again. For some reason, it continues to take an excessive amount of time searching through Domains even though the folder no longer exists in the Zone Map folder of the registry. Fortunately, the deletion doesn't seem to have hurt anything either.

WhitPhil, I use Glary Utilities and it does contain a registry cleaner. Thanks for the advice. I will read further on registry cleaners and the potential damage caused by them. Had no clue about this.

Thanks again gents. Larry.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

As well, by deleting that key you have now UNdone the protection provided by Restricted Sites!

6. Claymore

Claymore

He can always restore his backup of the Registry key.

7. Larkru

Larkru Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Downloaded latest version of Spybot with all updates and immunized system. Registry folders are back in order. Thanks again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice