Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Deleting duplicate files

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Elvandil 
#1 ·
Hi there, this is my first proper question, so please be kind! To be honest it's probably in the wrong place but i'm not sure. Basically, I'm running Windows XP, which has been fairly unstable as late, and thinking it might be because of an overful hard drive, I recently moved several gigabites of music etc. off my main drive (C:) and onto my second drive (F:). Unfortunately, this now means that i'm wasting a fair bit of space on my F drive, as I already exported most-but-not-all of these files to my iTunes music files so I could put them easily onto my iPod. I'd like to free up this space again, but since the files are all in one large folder and not very well organised, it's gonna be a nightmare going through them all and just deleting the ones that are already in iTunes. Does anyone know a simple and effective way of deleting these duplicate files, but keeping ones that aren't duplicates where they are? I don't mind downloading freeware/shareware but I can't afford anything retail at the moment. Thanks for reading!

#10 ·
TomasKay said:
Amazing! You guys are so helpful! I'm sticking around here :)
LOL. You'll find your solutions here, if there are any.

You'll find thast the apps I listed above can compare files in various ways, even byte by byte, to be sure that duplicates are really dupes, and that they don't just have different names.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.