1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Deleting some info from start up screen

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Shamrock, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

When the computer is loading at start up...at the top of the screen it says 'scanningC... summary report on c.. files scanned etc. Seems like that is unnecessary and can be unchecked.??

If ok to do it.... How?

2. hewee

hewee

Not sure if this is it buy in Nortorn AV 2001 you go to options and click the plus on the leftside for Manual scans and highlite "Startup Scans".
    There is a box you can uncheck on the right.

From the help:

Startup Scan Settings

The Startup Scan options allow you to define what is scanned automatically when you start up your computer:
    If you performed a complete setup of Norton AntiVirus, use the preset options.
    For maximum protection, select all the options in the Items To Scan group.
    You can also change the key you can use to bypass startup scans. This bypass feature is available whenever you start up the computer if you have selected a key.

3. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

I had to put in a new hard drive and McAfee was one of the original programs on my computer.... which I'm not using(McAfee)

What would happen if in System Config. under general if I uncheck process autoexec.bat file? I know the computer has to go thru certain steps so I don't want to do anything to cause problems.

4. hewee

hewee

Shamrock,

Sorry I miss your post.

But what you just ask I don't know the answer to.:(

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Autoexec.bat is not required by Windows, per se, but some programs still put entries there. There is nothing to fear by unchecking it on the general page, you can always recheck it.

However you can more specifically uncheck individual entries in it by clicking on the autoexec.bat tab in msconfig and removing checks for individual items. You can even remove them if you like.

If you want to backup that file and others (win.ini, system.ini, config.sys and autoexec.bat) before making changes, click the "make backup" tab in msconfig.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

Thank you for the information and about backing up too.
    I did uninstall McAfee so that got rid of those lines at start-up

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice