1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Deleting web addresses from drop-down box

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JosieM, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JosieM

JosieM Thread Starter

Simple question, I'm sure.... How do I delete previously visited web addresses from the drop-down box of the address toolbar? I've highlighted then "delete" to no avail. Is this possible? Thanks!
    :confused:

2. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Depending on how recent they are you should be able to do this:

1) Click on the History icon (the one with the clock) at the top of the page, click on the day you visited the website, find the site you want to delete, right click on the site name, and choose Delete. The entries in the drop down box for that site should disappear. This should always erase those specific sites.

2) If that doesn't work, completely clear your Internet history. Go to the Tools tab, click Internet Options, and click on Clear History. From here, you can also set the number of days to have web pages in your history.

Mind you, some websites may still appear in the drop down box if they are bookmarked favourites and in the "Favorites" folder. (y)

3. JosieM

JosieM Thread Starter

Thanks, 8dalejr.com. I have previously done #1. That only deletes from the history list, not from the drop-down box. I just thought there would have been some way of doing it w/o cleaning up the history completely. But now I know there is not. Thanks so much for you reply.

4. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Actually it's 8dalejr.fan and not 8dalejr.com :D :p lol j/k

Deleting an individual entry should remove it from the drop down list. That's how I do it and it always works for me. :confused:

If anyone else has another suggestion I'd love to hear it. Are there any other ways to do it?

5. welshY

welshY

try clearing auto complete

tools
    internet options
    content
    auto complete

and then choose which ones to clear

6. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

7. JosieM

JosieM Thread Starter

LOL!!! :D 8dalejr.fan -- hard to break habits, I guess! (.com)

Thanks to you both for the info. I will read up and get all the smarts I need in this area. It is definitely not a "major" problem, you know. Just one of those things I came across and just "had" to know "why"!!!

Till next time,
    Josie

8. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH

Huh, i thought they were 'forms'. [After looking, i found that forms was visible after clicking on auto-complete]. Personally, ive disabled this, and all my internet history is deleted via the options menu in the firefox browser and MS anti-spyware program that has a thing called track eraser. I havnt really succeded in deleting all my tracks, so if you think youve done so, you gotta tell me how you would manage such a thing.

To make things clear, things saved in the address bar dont have anything to do with history at all, and probibly are in the auto-complete area.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice