1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Deleting XP Partition to Extend 7 Partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Niko381, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Niko381

Niko381 Thread Starter

Hey, I've searched around quite a bit but I can't seem to find any concrete answer to my issue... if there is another thread, however, I'd appreciate someone directing me over to it... anyways, the issue:

Originally I had only Windows XP installed, and since I wasn't ready to scrap it and install Windows Vista over it (since I wasn't so sure about Vista), I partitioned the disk and installed Windows Vista there... a while later, having barely ever used Vista by the time Windows 7 came out, I decided to get that and upgrade the Vista partition to Windows 7. As I haven't touched my Windows XP partition since then, I just want to completely delete the XP partition and extend my 7 partition to fill the rest of my drive. When I open up the Windows 7 Disk Management window and try to delete the unwanted volume, it says that "Windows cannot delete the active system partition on this disk." Similarly, if I try to format it, it says that "Windows cannot format the system partition on this disk." I did notice that the original XP partition is still marked as the Active one, but there's no option to set my new partition as Active... so, what can I do to rid myself of this other partition?

Thanks a lot guys, any help will be GREATLY appreciated =D

Attached Files:

2. thomasjk

thomasjk

3. Niko381

Niko381 Thread Starter

Hey, thanks a lot for the help! That article seemed to be exactly what I needed, except something in part of the instructions (the part where the command to write the boot file to the new partition via the command prompt) didn't work, so now when I try to boot it says "NTLDR is missing"... any chance there's a fix for this?

EDIT: More detail:

If you look at the directions in the article and scroll down to the part where you're entering commands to delete the other partition and the such, this will make more sense... I'm just gonna list each step and what happened for them:

Diskpart (Successful so far)

Select disk 0 (works fine)

Select partition 1/Detail partition (works well, it's the XP partition that's selected)

Delete partition (worked, XP partition is deleted)

Select partition 2 (ok, the Windows 7 partition is selected)

Active (Here's where the problems start... it now says:

"Virtual Disk Service error:
    The specified partition type is not valid for this operation.")

Exit (alright, leaves the DiskPart environment)

Bootrec /fixmbr ("The operation completed successfully." Yay)

Bootrec /fixboot ("Element not found." Not yay)

And those are all the problems I get (I probably gave it in way more detail than necessary haha, sorry bout that... but more's better than less I suppose)

Greatly appreciate any help I can get!

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

have you tried booting from your Windows 7 install disc and chosing System Recovery?

5. Niko381

Niko381 Thread Starter

I did, but unfortunately I did not have a system image saved to recover back to :\

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

7. Niko381

Niko381 Thread Starter

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. Just tried that though, and it said it could find no problems... and now on boot, it loads up to a point where it says "Verifying DMI Pool Data", and then just stops there... thanks for the quick reply though!

8. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You have Win 7 installed on a Logical Drive (Note lighter shade of blue in the graphic) in an Extended Partition (Note green border around partition).
    You can't make a Logical Drive or Extended Partition Active.

You can create a small 100 mb partition to hold the boot files and set it active (this is what the System Reserved partition you sometimes see is).

Or, create an image of the Win 7 partition, then delete the partition and restore the image, changing the partition type to a Primary partition.
    I'd use Acronis or Easeus Todo for this.

Imaging Software

Free:
    Macrium Reflect
    DriveImage XML
    Easeus Todo Backup
    XXClone (Turorial Here)
    If you have a Seagate HD, you can use this, which is based on Acronis:
    Seagate DiscWizard
    And from Western Digital:
    Acronis True Image WD Edition Software

Commercial:
    Acronis True Image
    DriveImage XML
    Macrium Reflect
    Norton Ghost

9. Niko381

Niko381 Thread Starter

Ah alright, thanks a lot for the reply... well I just managed to make some progress, somehow... I found a partition tool that could work from a boot disk, used that, it let me set the Windows 7 partition as active, I got rid of the XP partition, and with the Windows 7 partition active, it let me use the "Bootrec /fixboot" command, so I finally booted successfully. Only thing now though, is when I check the amount of space on the disk via the Start > Computer window, it looks exactly the same with that partition having the same amount of free space, and with the other one gone. Starting up Easeus Partition Master, however, tells me that all the free space from the other partition is now part of this one, and I should have somewhere around an additional 118GB free space than I actually do (and I did resize this partition to fill the unallocated space).

Any suggestions for this? Also greatly appreciated =D

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Post another screen shot of Disk Management, lets see if that shows it using the entire partition, or something else that will give us a clue.

11. Niko381

Niko381 Thread Starter

Okay cool, sure thing, here it is.. in fact, I'll post both screen shots, first the Disk Management window, and then also the Easeus Partition Master window. (you'll also notice in Disk Management, that the capacity of the C:\ drive in the list on top is different from the size it says down below, so that's basically my problem):

Attached Files:

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The 113.40 GB size shown on top is the same as the partition before you resized things. Like Windows, Easeus won't set a logical drive active either, so whatever you used to set the partition active may have fooled both Windows and Easeus into thinking that it's a primary partition when it's actually still an extended partition. So you can resize the partition, but not the logical drive that Windows is actually on.

I'd try setting the partition non active, see what that does, and also use TeskDisk to see what it shows for the partition type and number, see if it still shows it as L, and a partition number greater than 4

13. Niko381

Niko381 Thread Starter

Hey thanks again for the quick reply... I ran TestDisk, but since I'm not completely sure what everything in the results means, I have attached a screenshot:

Attached Files:

14. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Your problem is that you extended the partition but did not extend the filesystem. So the partition manager correctly gives you the size of the partition and the utilities that tell you things like space free tell you based on the size of the filesystem.

In fact, that one graphic you posted shows it explicitly; the partition is shown but the filesystem (the pale yellow portion) only covers half of the partition.

Resize the filesystem and you'll be good to go. I can't tell you offhand how to do that in Win 7, but I think that "extend volume" (right click on the partition and choose from the drop down menu) will do it for you.

15. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Can you post a screen shot from TestDisk from before you click the Quick Search? That will show the current partition setup. After you click Quick Search, TestDisk shows what it found, and what it thinks it should be. The fact that it is in white indicates it is different that the current entries. If it was the same, it would be in green.

The yellow shaded portion in the Easeus screen shot shows the used space, not the size of the volume/file system. The white portion is the unused space. The total size is denoted by the pink outline.

The problem appears to me to be that the EBR from the extended partition was not removed, and Windows is still reading that for the size of the volume, even though the partition is no longer set as an extended type.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/946547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice