1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Blue Screen of Death 0x00000073

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Lito, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lito

Lito Thread Starter

Twice in the past few months I've gotten the Blue Screen of Death when turning on my 2yr old Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. Config List Failed, Code was STOP: 0x00000073 (0x00000001, 0xC000017D, 0x00000004, 0xF6BB9BB8). Both times I was able to boot up by pressing the Dell MediaDirect button next to the power button - and everything seemed fine. A couple of months since it last happened now I get the blue screen again. Pressing that other button doesn't help - I still get the blue screen. I've done the F8 thing and tried starting in Safe Mode. When it asks to select an OS, the only choice is Windows XP Embedded, but my laptop has Vista. I tried Startup Repair but it said it could not repair. System Restore failed due to unspecified error. And now I get the Blue Screen in Safe Mode with STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF794C524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

2. Sponsor

3. Lito

Lito Thread Starter

When I tried the System Restore and it failed it said The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable (0x80070570). I have not backed up files on this computer so I would like to at least be able to access them one more time so I can back them up before trying to do a Windows Complete PC Restore or Dell Factory Image Restore - both of which I think will delete all my files.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

7B errors are drive related.

You may want to check Dell's instruction manual on how to remove the drive -- then reseat it.

Beyond that, try running chkdsk /r on the drive if you can do that at this time.

This might be possible from the command prompt window accessible from the recovery environment.

If you cannot boot the drive at all and would like to recover files there are a couple of options.

You can remove the drive and boot it as an external drive on another computer using an IDE to USB converter -- usually under 20 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-USB-DSC5-3-5-Inch-Converter-Adapter/dp/B000HJ99DI

Another option is to create a linux boot disk and, if it can see and mount the drive copy files to an external drive (a large capacity thumb drive can do).

http://www.puppylinux.com/

5. Lito

Lito Thread Starter

Thank you Rollin Rog. I will try your suggestions. I have an external drive, how do I create a linux boot disk? using the puppy link you provided?

6. Lito

Lito Thread Starter

I have tried running a Dell Diagnostic of the system using the Drivers & Utilities disk and it has taken me pretty far in the diagnostic test, but at the point that it asked me to remove the media so it could test the DVD drive, it opened, but did not close and the computer shut down.
    When I boot up now it gives me a black screen with the top reading: Windows Error Recovery. Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software installation may be the cause.
    Then it gives me the option of starting up normally or in Startup Repair mode.
    Are you sure its not an OS problem?

7. Lito

Lito Thread Starter

I tried chkdsk /r and it said
    The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
    It asked if I wanted to schedule the volume to be checked the next time the system restarts. I chose Yes, but it doesn't seem like it checked when I restarted because it just went to the startup repair option again.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The fatal errors are likely due to drive corruption which has affected the registry hives. There is a last ditch procedure which I would only attempt if all else fails -- I'll give it at the end of this post. Be advised that if the drive is thoroughly corrupt, this will probably fail too, and could even make things worse.

Are you getting that chkdsk /r error when running it from the command prompt reached through the recovery/repair environment?

I'm not sure what could interfere at that point unless something related to the Dell Diagnostics was still running. But the Dell should have its own drive diagnostic as well.

As for using Puppy Linux -- you need to burn it to a CD using standard ISO burning methods -- that means if you have an installed burner on the system you are using, just "open" the file and it should recognize the ISO extension and your burner should guide you from there.

To boot with it, you must boot it from the CD drive that you are using.

Now if this is an external drive -- it will depend on whether your system offers you the option of booting from that drive -- most recent ones do. See if pressing the F12 key on boot-up offers you an IDE choice with the external drive, if that's all you have.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to perform a Manual System Restore in Vista

1. Boot to the Windows Recovery Environment and select the Command Prompt

2. At the prompt enter the following commands:

cd windows\system32\config

3. At the prompt cd windows\system32\config> enter the following:

ren default default.old
    ren sam sam.old
    ren system system.old
    ren security security.old
    ren software software.old

cd regback

4. At the prompt C:\windows\system32\config\regback> enter the following:

copy default c:\windows\system32\config
    copy sam c:\windows\system32\config
    copy system c:\windows\system32\config
    copy security c:\windows\system32\config
    copy software c:\windows\system32\config

5. Close the command prompt window and reboot the computer

9. Lito

Lito Thread Starter

i may have downloaded the wrong file,. i did the iso onto a usb and it seemed successful, but when i put it in the laptop and selected the usb drive for booting, i got a message that said "no bootable partiitionin table"

to answer your question, yes i ran chkdsk /r from where u said

i will try to check the usb again, to make sure i doownloaded the right puppy file (4.3.1) iso, but if i get the same message, i guess i'll resort to the system restore you outlined

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't have any experience with getting ISO files onto a USB -- they have to be burned to a CD using ISO burning protocols -- you do not just copy this someplace.

I do believe once you burn the ISO to a CD properly -- then the CD can be copied to a USB drive and possibly booted if the system supports USB booting.

11. Lito

Lito Thread Starter

ok i was able to burn puppy onto a dvd and i was able to boot my laptop using the dvd. i read thru the information and on first shutdown saved personal files to a usb external drive. I was able to plug the usb into another pc and locate the .2fs file that the personal files were saved to, but there is no recognizable program to open the files for viewing.

Did I do everything right so far? what more do i need to do to ensure I can access the files, before I go ahead and try system restore on the laptop

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I think that's the puppy linux extension -- you simply saved another copy of the data puppy uses to boot.

When you copy your files to that external drive, verify that you can see and access them from puppy linux and that they have the correct extensions for what you are copying.

Remember, using puppy linux, you will have to navigate to your personal data folders and copy those manually. Once that is done, it is done, the prompt puppy linux gives when shutting down is for other data related to puppy that will be saved and used when you reboot it -- for example display driver settings, and even browser favorites.

13. Lito

Lito Thread Starter

should I be able to navigate in puppy fairly easily to find my personal data folders and files? I tried last night, but it wasn't as clear cut as I thought. Am I not looking right?

14. joeten

joeten

15. Lito

Lito Thread Starter

ok, i finally figured it out - and successfully copied the files to an external drive. now that the files are safely stored elsewhere, I will try system restore to try and get windows up and running again. Thanks. Will let u know if it works.

16. Lito

Lito Thread Starter

Back in business! Thank you Rollin Rog, you are a genius.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/871546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice