1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell computer goes directly to BIOS then won't boot when exited

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Diver--13, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Diver--13

Diver--13 Thread Starter

I've got an old Dell that I'm trying to get running again but, every time I start it up it goes directly to BIOS. It regonizes my hard drive and all of my other hardware. When I exit out of BIOS it says that I have to replace jumper for settings to be saved. It is now safe to shut down your computer. I have tried booting from a Ubuntu live CD, another harddrive, I've replaced all the cables and I've tried using another power supply. Any help would help because I'm stumped.

2. Diver--13

Diver--13 Thread Starter

Anyone have any ideas at all?? Please!

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Sounds like the Clear CMOS jumper may be in the Clear position instead of the Normal position, or some other jumper related to the BIOS. Head for the Dell website and see if you can track down the manual for that model.

Check the case for a sticker with an Express Code -- that can help take you directly to the page for that PC.

Jerry

4. BassHole

BassHole Banned

Agreed, or a missing jumper. Many times jumpers get knocked off or fall off if not careful.

5. Diver--13

Diver--13 Thread Starter

Thank you guys! I will definantely check out the website.

6. Diver--13

Diver--13 Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your help. I looked at the online maual for the XPS Dxxx series and I found out that that it was a jumper. Apparently it was placed in the configure position.

Again thank you for your help, I wouldn't have figured it out with out your help :)

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You're Welcome!

If your issue has been resolved you (and ONLY you) can mark this thread Solved by using the Mark Solved button at the Top Left of this thread (above the first post) :)

[​IMG]

Jerry

8. Diver--13

Diver--13 Thread Starter

Oops my bad, I was getting to that then got distracted, thanks!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/779720