1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Dell D825HT Monitor Resolution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ricp, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ricp

ricp Thread Starter

I have got a Dell D825HT Monitor and I bought it second-hand so I didn't get any drivers with it. I know my monitor is capable of reaching 1280x1024 but all I can get it up to is 1024x768. My video accelerator supports upto 2048x1536 and it's got the most recent drivers so I'm suspecting that it's the monitor drivers what are the problem. Anybody got any ideas? I would appreciate any help.

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Thats interesting, the monitors preset resolutions on the Dell site only go to 1024 X 768

I have no idea how to get it up to the max. I'm thinking that the monitor drivers won't help.

Resolution
    Maximum horizontal 1280 dots
    Maximum vertical 1024 lines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video Presets/Frequencies
    Resolution Modes Standard Horizontal Vertical
    640 x 480 1 VGA Graphic 31.4 kHz 59.8 Hz
    720 x 400 2 VGA Text 31.5 kHz 70.1 Hz
    640 x 480 3 VESA® 37.9 kHz 72.8 Hz
    800 x 600 4 VESA 37.9 kHz 60.3 Hz
    800 x 600 5 VESA 46.9 kHz 72.2 Hz
    1024 x 768 6 VESA 56.5 kHz 70.1 Hz
    1024 x 768 7 VESA 60.0 kHz 75.0 Hz

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    According to DELL, 1024 x 768 is the MAX. http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/monitors/94051/specs.htm

Going higher may not work or damage the monitor.

In 98 it was possible to specify a monitor, like STANDARD SVGA 1024 x 768 if you went into the Advanced properties under Display Settings. I don't remember how high a resolution was provided with such drivers but you may want to see if there is a Standard SVGA 1280x1024 you can force to install this way.

4. ricp

ricp Thread Starter

The thing that irritates me the most though is at one point I had it up to 1280x1024! But I formatted my HD and forgot how I managed it. Ive got windows 98 and I've tried switchin to standard vga 1280x1024 but it just stays the same with the 1024 resolution. Thanks for goin to the trouble of looking at the dell website. i'd already been there though but it's still appreciated all the same

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

You need to FORCE Windows to choose another monitor, was was the NORM in the Windows95 days... :(

Tell Windows you have a 19" SONY or other monitor...

What ever your monitor can't handle, it won't display anyways.

note: You're talking about a 15" monitor... thats rather small to view 1280x1024 in - which I've done on my 15" MAG for a little bit - but its really pushing the hardware. Most likely, your video settings where wrong before, and thus allowed you the higher rez.

My 19" SamSung can handle 2043x1440.... which is WAY to tiny - I can almost use 1900x1400... but its still just a tad too small.

If ya like big desktops... save and pick up a 19" Flat tube CRT for $200~225 :) I'm a 1600x1200 user.

6. ricp

ricp Thread Starter

I've tried forcing it to be Super VGA 1600x1200 and a few brand names as well but it's still only coming up with 1024. I've been experimenting with my computer recently with different OSs and I got 1280 on XP but I don't want to use it because I'm happy with 98 and some of my stuff doesn't work on XP. I'm beginning to think it's something to do with my video card because I tried looking at a Power Strip Monitor Tweaker and it said that my video drivers might be restricting the higer resolutions. I sould have checked when I had XP on what display adapter it was using because my PC's got onboard graphics.

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

XP has more control over your computer than the user FAR worse than Win98...

XP Has a compatiblity mode - right click on the Launch Icon of program - set compatiblity to Win95 / 98 / NT 4 etc. Works pretty good.

Perhaps, use the monitor at its rated operation ;)

Many people use their 17" monitors in 1024x768 (I didn't) - some even at 800x600 (yikes).

8. ricp

ricp Thread Starter

800x600! They must be mad! I don't like my desktop on anything lower or higher than 1024x768. The only reason I want to get 1280 is for games on my new computer I'm getting. The problem with XP is my dad probably wouldn't let it on the new computer. I might try and sneak it on somehow and make it look like Windows 98 ;) . I've just realised how big my signature is. It'll be shortening later anyway because I'll be 'disposing' of the Low Spec computer.

9. compilerxp

compilerxp

Get a bigger monitor... enjoy the games more on the bigger screen.

10. Baboski

Baboski

You need to make sure you have the latest drivers for you graphics card and the monitor.
    Try www.driverguide.com
    If your monitor isnt set up with its own driver, compared the one that the os supplied it ussually wont work to its full capability. You also might need to see what hertz the monitor needs to be at to run at the higher resolution.

11. ricp

ricp Thread Starter

I managed to get my monitor sorted. It's on my new computer now. It didn't work at first (ie. the monitor was still stuck on 1024) but I found a key in the Registry that ststed the maximum resolution (1024,768) and I changed it to '1280,1024' and...lo and behold...it worked! I had a bit of a problem with the colours in some D3D games but I found out it was something to do with the colour profile and I installed the right profile. Thanks anyway to everyone who tryed to resolve my problem. But now it's onto the next problem. My new computer has a sound problem! :rolleyes: What a surprise! The sound keeps breaking up and crackling but I seem to think it's a conflict within Windows what's doing it. Switching mobos and keeping the hard drive in the same computer is not a good idea. Anyway I'm going to format it 2nite so it might work then.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/159313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice