1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell desktop froze

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cookie1086, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cookie1086

Cookie1086 Thread Starter

My dell desktop froze while I was searching the net, I waited for a bit to see if it would come back, I then powered it off on the modem, waited a few seconds, then powered it back on, it goes to the start up screen get about 90% finished then freezes again, I've also tried hitting F2 and it says entering set up, but then does nothing. Please help need it for an research paper due tomorrow

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

Cookie1086

Could you please post the make and model of your PC and which OS you are using (including Service Packs you have)?

Is this something totally new in the last couple of weeks or so, or has your Dell experienced episodes of slowing before?

3. Cookie1086

Dell dimension XPS running windows XP, model WHL, no it has never done this before I was told, it has been running slow, but is also not used everyday

4. AtlBo

AtlBo

Would this be the one Cookie1086?

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimxpsg3/en/OM/j3186A01.pdf

This has a P4 processor and room for up to 4 GB of RAM. How much RAM memory do you have on board your machine?

Here's Wikipedia...is this a good description?
    XPS 600 - The former flagship model of the XPS series that features an Intel dual-core Pentium D 950 processor, dual Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX in SLI mode, 7200 RPM SATA hard drive, and dual-channel DDR2 RAM. This case has not changed significantly over the past several generations, with the large aluminum plate on the front. Discontinued a few days after XPS 700 launch and succeeded by the XPS 700.

Just trying to compare this against a Dell GX270 that I once had for performance, so I can know what you should be expecting. I think I'm starting to understand. Pretty decent performance from an older machine...

5. Cookie1086

That would be it, not sure the exact amount but know there is plenty available

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the 7-character "service tag" number on the sticker?

-----------------------------------------------------------

7. AtlBo

AtlBo

Cookie1086...do you by chance have an installation disk of Windows XP handy? If your system is XP Pro, you willl need an XP Pro installation disk, if Home a Home one, etc...

I'd like to see if we can boot you to the install disk to run a Windows Repair...

8. AtlBo

AtlBo

Hey, flavalee...

Welcome to Cookie's non-booting Dell XPS 600 thread. Allow me to step aside so that you can assist Cookie back to a healthy Dell PC as fast as possible!

9. Cookie1086

No i do not have a installation disc

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    AtlBo:

There's no need for you to step aside.

Two heads can be better than one, and you may have some expertise that I don't.

I'm going off-line shortly for a few hours anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Cookie1086:

Don't overlook post #6.

That'll confirm the identity of your Dell.

-------------------------------------------------------

12. AtlBo

AtlBo

OK flavalee...I'll stick around and see if I can pitch in and help! Thanks for your confidence...

13. Cookie1086

I'm waiting on the tag number, she is having trouble finding it, said it was not located on the back

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If the sticker is missing, you should be able to get that number by accessing the BIOS.

With most Dells, pressing the F2 key when the Dell logo appears will bring it up.

----------------------------------------------------------

15. Cookie1086

When I press F2 it says entering setup, and freezes and does not do anything but stay on the start up screen

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!