Solved: dell desktop wont power up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

huskermania

I have a dell desktop studio 540. I put windows 8 in it and forgot it was still waiting for me to pick a name for my pc. well yesterday i went to log on and it wouldnt turn on. The power button is yellowish/organish color not the normal white. Can this be fixed even if temp? Thank you

kevin

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have a dell desktop studio 540. I put windows 8 in it
I'm guessing you actually have a Dell Studio Desktop D540 which has support for Windows XP 32-bit and Windows Vista 32-bit/64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit.

What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on it?

well yesterday i went to log on and it wouldnt turn on. The power button is yellowish/organish color not the normal white.
This is from page 24 of its on-line setup guide.

Attachments

valis

I have a dell desktop studio 540. I put windows 8 in it and forgot it was still waiting for me to pick a name for my pc. well yesterday i went to log on and it wouldnt turn on. The power button is yellowish/organish color not the normal white. Can this be fixed even if temp? Thank you

kevin
just as an FYI, 8 most likely won't work on that....Dell doesn't even have drivers for W8 for that machine....

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Please response to and answer the question in post #2.

-----------------------------------------------------------

huskermania

sorry frank, I looked at your message and it didnt have nothing what you said but i see it now. here is the codes

express service code: 6760973593
service tag : 33tb4m1

kevin

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
According to that express service code number and service tag number, you have this Dell Studio Desktop D540.

According to its original system configuration, it shipped in March 2010 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

It appears to have these primary devices:

AMD Radeon HD 4350 Graphics (512 MB)

Realtek ALC888 High Definition Audio

Realtek RTL81xx PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet

Pages 33 - 37 of its on-line setup guide have instructions for reinstalling the Windows operating system.

I've included images of those instructions here to save you some time.

Attachments

huskermania

Oh i know how to reinstall windows. It wont spin up with a install cd. I didnt notice the fans are working on it though. should i try a external to see it will boot up?

kevin

Does the computer simply not turn on?

Unplug the power cord from the back. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. Plug the cord back in. Press the power button.

EDIT: And if that doesn't work, try doing it after unplugging all connected devices from the back. Something might be shorting.

Not sure why people are telling u to reinstall windows when u can't get a display:confused:
Really sounds like the power supply has died
So try a new power supply and u might be good to go!

valis

sorry frank, I looked at your message and it didnt have nothing what you said but i see it now. here is the codes

kevin
Please read flavallee's post. I don't know how else to ask this, but your answer is in that last image. Pretty sure replay read it. Your Dell is telling you the issue by the power button light color.

thanks,

v

and howdy replay. :)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Kevin:

This is what I previously submitted about the amber power light.

I tend to agree it's a power supply issue.

Attachments

huskermania

well i had a friend come over that know a lot about computers and all of you are wrong. yes replay i did tell everyone that but no one seems to get it. It was a cmos battery i think he said. he took it out plugged it all in and it work. thanks guys for trying to help.

kevin

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online