1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Dimension 2400 problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rufusta2, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

:confused:I was running XP professional but got hacked or a virus and did a complete hard drive wipe out and then installed XP home. Now it does not find, or is having a conflict with, my ethernet controller, audio device, system management bus and VGA. I can probably download updated drivers for the other things if I can get it to load a driver for the ethernet, but since I can't, I am pretty well screwed.:eek: I would appreciate any help from anyone who is at all familiar with the Dell Dimension 2400.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

What computer are you on now? Can you go to Dell support and get the drivers and put them on a flash drive or burn to CD and take that to the driver-starved Dimension 2400?

3. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    Check your disks if they were supplied with the dell and look for one called 'drivers and utilites' that has what you need. Make sure you install your chipset first.

4. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

One of the problems I have is that I don't know the make/model of the ethernet so will I be able to get a driver without knowing this info? I tried to copy the ethernet driver from this computer and copy onto the messed up one, but it didn't work right.

5. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    If you dont have the drivers and utilities cd then as fairnooks said you can go to the dell site for any needed. When there either enter your service tag number or the model of the desktop and it will list the ones you need. You can download them on the computer you are using and save to cd or flash drive etc and then transfer them to the computer in question.

6. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

muppy03
    I don't have anything for this computer. I was given the tower and it had xp pro on it until I wiped the hard drive and installed xp home. I don't understand the problem with it because I have done this to several other computers in my household before. It had no problem running everything right, before I wiped it and ran xp home.

7. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    The xp home cd just puts windows back on the computer not all the drivers needed, go here http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19 and enter the model etc it will give you the drivers needed to download. as I said you can download them on the comp you are on and transfer over. Makesure you install the chipset FIRST Then audio, video ethernet etc.

8. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

I found the chipset driver on the dell site, but I have a stupid question. After I save it to a disk or my flash drive, what do I do? How do I need to copy it to my other computer?
    I'm sorry to have to ask so many questions but I can't afford to have anyone fix my computers and have to try to do the work myself.

9. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

Guys, I pulled up the device manager and I don't see chipset anywhere on it. What do I look for and where do I look for it?

10. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    if you saved it to you flash drive open it up in the comp you are fixing and double click it to run it. you wond find a device called chipset as such they are for the motherboard. Chipset is first but you still have to get your video audio ethernet etc and what ever else shows with yellow question mark in device manager

11. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

I burned it to a CD, so I just open the file on the CD on the messed up Dell? So it should run and load whatever needs to be loaded for the chipset? I'll download the rest of the drivers after I get this one done first. Thank you, thank you.

12. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    ok so the cd is in and the cd folder is open showing the download? I personally would then drag it to my desk top and run it from there. Some of the drivers (from memory) will do all the work themselves some will ask you to save etc. It should all be self explanatory as you go along.

13. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    how did you go?

14. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

Sorry, I was downloading the ethernet driver. It's not done yet. I installed the chipset and then had to restart my machine. I figure if the ethernet driver works then I can download everything else right to the machine. I'll let you know if everything works out. Again, thank you.

15. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

Dude, thank you. I am online now and can get everything else straight from dell.com. If it weren't for people like you, I'd probably be sitting in the dark somewhere eating raw food. Thanks, thanks, thanks, etc.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!