1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Dimension 3100 has to be powered on 2x before it starts up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matrophy, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matrophy

matrophy Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 3100 that I have recently had to power up, hold in the power button until it shuts off, then power up again before it starts. I had a hard time finding an aftermarket PSU that would work with a Dell so I found a used and tested Dell PSU and installed it and I have the same issue. I ran SeaTools which said I had no hard drive issues. Someone suggested that it might be a BIOS issue and/or a BIOS battery but I have no idea what to look for.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2038 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 53976 MB, Free - 10105 MB; D: Total - 18935 MB, Free - 18823 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0JC474
    Antivirus: avast! Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

It's often when the BIOS settings are wrong, it fails to boot, then 2nd attempt it resets the settings temporarily and boots okay.

I'd note down/save the current BIOS settings, then I would do a BIOS reset to see if that fixes it. You can do this in the menu by booting into the BIOS when you first switch the computer on, or as somebody said removing the BIOS battery for a few mins would also do it.

As an irrelevant side note, not to worry you but I had this problem for a while, then it became every 3rd boot, every 4th boot, etc etc until eventually it didn't work at all. Tried everything including resets etc. The motherboard eventually had failed completely. I think I was just unlucky because I've never heard of this happening before then.

3. matrophy

matrophy Thread Starter

Resetting the BIOS seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the help.

4. matrophy

matrophy Thread Starter

I guess changing the BIOS settings back to the original settings made my PC start up with no problem the first time but now the same thing is happening. Does anyone have another suggestion?

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Does it do this on every start up or once it is running does it restart normally? It could be a Power Supply going out.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Dells do not use the best power supplies. I had to take one out of known working Dimension 3000 to fix the same problem on another Dimension 3000.

7. matrophy

matrophy Thread Starter

I replaced the PSU with a known working PSU and have the same issue.

So far I've:
    Swapped the power supply
    Run a hard drive diagnostic utility
    reset BIOS settings to factor
    removed and replaced BIOS battery

8. matrophy

matrophy Thread Starter

It does it every time I attempt a startup. I have to power on, power down, wait 30 seconds and power up and it starts

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It is possible that it is a motherboard problem, that is a rather old computer. The symptoms say that it is a hardware problem. and given the age, it is not really worth throwing a lot of money into it. Swapping parts with known good parts is really the only way to troubleshoot this, though ou could try disconnecting the drives (HDD and CD), and any other peripherals except Video, Keyboard, and mouse to see if it at least passes the POST test normally would rule those items out.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice