1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Dimension 4600-Boot Up Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by madchick, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madchick

madchick Thread Starter

System is a dell dimension 4600. Came to me dead. User said it'd been making some funny noises for the last week or so.

I tested p/s & sure enough it was dead. I ordered another & put in machine. Booted up once. RPC errors & the like shut it back down very quickly. I knew it had viruses so I left it shut down over the weekend to deal w/ on Mon.

This morning plugged back in and it started to boot & shut right back down. Started defined as I heard the p/s come on. I took out RAM & reseated one by one. I do get Dell lights on the back of computer indicated memory not installed etc...so am I to assume that the ram might have been taken out with the p/s? The ram is PC2700 and I have ordered some. I don't have another pc that will take this ram to test.

Any suggestions on how I can further test machiné? I already tested out processor. heatsync. I test p/s again and that is still good.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    video card if it's onboard. Sounds like a power surge did some damage

3. madchick

madchick Thread Starter

Replaced video & It booted to safe menu with the ram that came with it! Thanks so much. Now I have to fix the RPC problems. Will keep you posted!

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    (y) that's the only thing left so...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice