1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Dimension 5000. problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philtivvy, Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

hi
    A friend has asked me to help her with her computer, I do not know much about computers but I do know the best place to ask for advice.
    The problem is that the computer will not boot up.
    The PSU fan runs, the lights on the 2 dvd players light up then go out and that is about it.
    If the start button is pressed again the cpu fan runs then stops.
    The diagnostic lights on the front are A amber, B green, C amber, D green. her handbook suggests this is likely to be a memory fault so I removed one pair of memory sticks from the black sockets and tried again, same result. substituted these sticks for the ones in the white sockets again same result. It seems unlikely that both pairs of memory should fail at the same time so the diagnostic lights must be misleading.
    I tried to access setup, the handbook gives F2 for this, but set up did not start.
    That just about exhausts my trouble shooting ability so I am asking the experts <What do I do next? >
    regards
    phil

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

OK first clean out the case's interior, then use a strong flashlight to inspect the motherboard components, pay close attention to the capacitors (cylindrical components standing straight up) look for cracks and powdery deposit. If you think all is well, disconnect all the drives and power up, look for all the fan to spin and listen for any post beep. If the pc behave the same, then remove all the memory modules and power up again, the system should begin beeping constantly, observe what happens next and post back here.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Dell Dimension 5000 Desktop

From its on-line service manual:

Attached Files:

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I thought that
    according to dell indicated

A possible graphics card failure has occurred.
    As indeed indicated by my colleague Flavallee

Here is the direct link to the owners manual - page 44 for diagnostic lights
    http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-5000_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

However I concur with CleaverX and after what he has suggested, your next approach is to take out the graphics card - presuming there is an actual card in a PCI slot and see what diagnostic lights you then get

Some models of Dimension 5000 had a card, as well as integrated graphics.
    You need to refer to the manual and check the connections on the I/O plate, where the mouse and keyboard connect and see if there is a monitor connection - on more than likely a VGA - SubD - on the I/O plate.

IF there is an actual card, as against just integrated graphics, there will be a monitor connection below the I/O plate
    as explained on page 57/58 of the manual

Likely causes are
    PSU
    Motherboard
    Failed graphics card

BIOS setup screen cannot be accessed if the system will not boot in the first place

5. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Hi
    Thanks for so many fast replies.
    There is a graphics card in the pci socket nearest to the processor. There is no vga socket on the I/O plate. Unhelpfully her user manual shows a vga socket on there but there is definitely only one vga socket, that on the card. As the manual also differs from Flavallee's thumbnails I suspect the manual refers to an early computer and was due for reprinting.
    The other half has demanded the return of the dining room table so the examination and further trials must wait until tomorrow.
    Thanks again
    regards
    phil

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Phil:

When you get around to it, advise us what the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number is on that Dell Dimension 5000 desktop.

According to the Windows XP drivers list for it, it has Intel 915G integrated graphics or a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 graphics card.

It appears to be about a 2005-era model desktop.

-------------------------------------------------------------

7. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Hi
    Firstly I was wrong about VGA I removed a plastic cover on the I/O panel and there was the onboard vga socket and the graphics card is (I think) AGP and not PCI.
    Disconnect all drives. switch on power.light on MB close to battery.
    Operate start button. one long beep then three long beeps then two long beeps then silence. repeated power off, power on, start. Did the same. Lights A green, B red, C green, D red.
    Power off.
    Connect HDD CPU fan runs two long beeps then silence. Diagnostic lights unchanged.
    Power off
    Connect DVD players six beeps various timings.
    No change to diagnostic lights
    As there has been a change I did not remove memory sticks.
    Not sure where to look for codes but there is a sticker on the I/O plate with a bar code and a number J565K1J The Motherboard is printed with the name DELL but there is a small sticker which says foxconn.
    If any more info is needed I will see what I can do.
    regards
    phil

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Both the lights and the beeps indicate memory errors so try reseating/cleaning the contacts.
    The service tag is the code we want and is either on the back or the bottom. It is unique to that machine when delivered and Dell keep records.

9. Macboatmaster

Even if it has integrated graphics, they are unlikely to work until you take out the card
    That will also eliminate a fault on the card

However I do not think, this is the cause, as I said earlier PSU or motherboard are more likely

Please do first proceed as the post from my colleague

I see the leds have changed they were amber green amber green and they are now green red green red. Be it red or amber the sequence if your first post was correct has changed

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

On an old branded pc, the first place to start is replacing the psu as Dell like most of the others use poor quality psus. It is higly possible that there is enough juisce to run a few fans and lights but not near enough to run bootup.

On an Intel cpu though what you describe is most often a failed heatsink/fan that is no longer tightened down into it's socket properly and that is the next place I would look at.

11. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Hi
    The numbers on the bottom are the same as given above except they are clearer and I misread one digit: J56SK1J.
    As far as the colours of the light are concerned I often have difficulty naming colours and while the green is accepted by most people as green the amber may be described by others as red or even yellow, either way there are only two colours one for good (green) and one for bad (red, amber or perhaps yellow).
    At one point, having found the onboard vga socket, I plugged in a monitor and was able to access the BIOS setup, this told me there was one SATA drive and two PATA drives, I did not note any of the other information. Since then I have been unable to access the setup either with the machine cold or having recently been switched off. I should mention that the cover over the VGA socket was much longer than the actual socket and was very tightly fitted requiring a screwdriver to lever it off.
    Rich-M: The CPU heat sink is covered by a plastic duct, inserting a finger into the open end of the duct I can detect no instability of the aluminium heat sink. Removal of the duct may not be easy for I can only see 2 securing screws, would there be others which are not readily visible?
    Dave: Would rubbing the contacts on the memory modules with a cloth soaked in switch cleaner be acceptable? and how can the socket be cleaned? I had always assumed the contacts were made of gold or other untarnishable alloy ?
    regards
    phil

12. Macboatmaster

The point I was trying to make is that your first post said

and as I commented be it amber or red your later post said

the first indicates a possible graphics card error

the second indicates as mentioned a possible memory error

Either the sequence has changed or one of your posted sequences is wrong.

and this on the evidence we have at the moment
    tends to indicate the card was faulty - but it could be a misleading conclusion, there may be a motherboard problem or still a power issue

13. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on the card, and, if needed, a cotton bud with isopropyl alcohol on the socket.
    The contacts don't tarnish, but I wouldn't be too sure about the sockets and you can't be sure that the computer builder didn't have sweaty fingers.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the Dell support site that's assigned to that Dell Dimension 5000 desktop.

It shipped in March 2005 in the U.K..

It comes with a Dell-branded 305 watt power supply.

Here is an image of what the rear of its case looks like.

Attached Files:

15. Wurms

Wurms

The error codes you have listed all point to faulty RAM, but that could just mean you had a short and need to reseat it.

Unplug power.
    Pull your graphics card out and memory out.
    Remove CMOS battery for approximately 60 seconds, then replace.
    Put in 1 memory stick.
    Connect monitor to onboard VGA
    Power on computer.

You should get to at least BIOS. If not, try the other memory stick. If after both sticks, you have no video still, then try the other memory slot, and rinse and repeat. If still no video, your RAM is most likely bad. Although, I have come across a few boards where both memory slots were bad. Its rare, but it has happened. Only way to find out is to get a known good RAM module and try it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice