1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Dimension 8200 > unable to boot from CD-ROM or floppy diskette

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rollin' Rog, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog Thread Starter

I've posted this on a "Dell Talk" forum, I thought I'd do so here as well, and see if anyone has some thougths or similar experiences.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know how long the problem has existed, but attempts now to boot from either a floppy diskette or a bootable CD (such as the Microsoft Installation CD) are failing. When the f12 menu is used, I am prompted to press f1 to retry or f2 to enter setup. Manually setting the boot sequence in Setup has no effect.

Both drives appear to be "polled" (you can see the led flashing), but the attempt is ignored (and Windows will boot normally) or the f1 prompt is produced if the f12 menu was used.

The media used has been tested and will boot properly on other systems, including an Inspiron 1150

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi Rollin' Rog

I think that if Dells have trouble booting off a device like a floppy disk they will just go to the next device on the list and try that. If you turn off the hard drive or uncheck it as a boot device in the bios can you get the system to boot to the floppy? If not try a different floppy drive and see if you can get it going.

Also check that the floppy drive is listed correctly and that the diskette interface controller (listed under Integrated Devices (Legacy Select Options) ) is set to auto.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog Thread Starter

Thanks lurker1, the problem has been resolved by following similar advice from Dell's phone support. While others may complain, I got someone with -- hardly any accent -- who patiently led me through opening the case (first time I've tried it on this Dell) reseating cables, going into the BIOS and resetting and redetecting the IDE drives. (ALT+E, ALT+F and ALT+B keys as I recall -- nothing to tell you that there).

And most importantly, any "bootable CD" has to be booted from the primary ROM IDE device, which in this case is the DVD rom. Something I didn't know.

I still can't get a Microsoft memory checker created with EASY CD's ISO burn to boot, even though it boots fine on an 1150, but other bootable CDs will boot.

And I've managed to get some floppy's booting as well (including the memory tester). Not sure what all fixed it, but I'll call it "Solved". :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice