1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Dimensions 4600 not working!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cap2587, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

I am trying to fix a Dell Dimensions 4600 PC that is not working. When I turn it on it sounds like it is running, but nothing is showing up on the screen. It is not the Monitor as that works fine with another computer. What do you think the problem could be and any troubleshooting tips would be great. Thanks

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Assuming that speakers are connected to that desktop and are turned on, can you hear the Windows startup sound (which would indicate the operating system is loading)?

If that's the case, my first guess would be the on-board display adapter or video card (whichever one it has) isn't working.

------------------------------------------------------------------

3. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply! Windows is not loading as I can't hear the start up sound it usually makes. You can hear the computer running though. Ideas.

4. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

If you have your computer set up to require a user to log on you wouldn't hear the windows sound until someone logs on. So it's possible it could be loading to the log on screen.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks, Rick. I didn't think about that. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

There is no password set up for this Computer. I guess this means that windows is not loading. What would that narrow the problem down to? Thanks.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Nothing at all appears on the monitor screen? No Dell logo, no BIOS setup, no nothing?

It's going to be hard to diagnose the problem without having a "hands on" with that computer.

Have you opened the case and checked all the connections and made sure the RAM modules and any add-on cards are seated properly?

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Nothing at all shows up on the screen. I will open the case and check all the components and get back to you. Thanks

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Considering the age of that desktop, that would be a good time to replace the round CMOS battery on the motherboard. It's probably a CR2032 model, but check to make sure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

10. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Problem solved. I took at the Graphics card and used the on board card and that fixed the problem. Must have been a faulty Graphics card. Thanks for all the help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice