Solved: Dell Dimensions 4600 not working!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cap2587

I am trying to fix a Dell Dimensions 4600 PC that is not working. When I turn it on it sounds like it is running, but nothing is showing up on the screen. It is not the Monitor as that works fine with another computer. What do you think the problem could be and any troubleshooting tips would be great. Thanks

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Assuming that speakers are connected to that desktop and are turned on, can you hear the Windows startup sound (which would indicate the operating system is loading)?

If that's the case, my first guess would be the on-board display adapter or video card (whichever one it has) isn't working.

------------------------------------------------------------------

cap2587

Thanks for the quick reply! Windows is not loading as I can't hear the start up sound it usually makes. You can hear the computer running though. Ideas.

If you have your computer set up to require a user to log on you wouldn't hear the windows sound until someone logs on. So it's possible it could be loading to the log on screen.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you have your computer set up to require a user to log on you wouldn't hear the windows sound until someone logs on. So it's possible it could be loading to the log on screen.
Thanks, Rick. I didn't think about that. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------

cap2587

There is no password set up for this Computer. I guess this means that windows is not loading. What would that narrow the problem down to? Thanks.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Nothing at all appears on the monitor screen? No Dell logo, no BIOS setup, no nothing?

It's going to be hard to diagnose the problem without having a "hands on" with that computer.

Have you opened the case and checked all the connections and made sure the RAM modules and any add-on cards are seated properly?

---------------------------------------------------------------

cap2587

Nothing at all shows up on the screen. I will open the case and check all the components and get back to you. Thanks

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Nothing at all shows up on the screen. I will open the case and check all the components and get back to you. Thanks
Considering the age of that desktop, that would be a good time to replace the round CMOS battery on the motherboard. It's probably a CR2032 model, but check to make sure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

cap2587

Problem solved. I took at the Graphics card and used the on board card and that fixed the problem. Must have been a faulty Graphics card. Thanks for all the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online