1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: dell e1505 lost power when unplugged

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by captkeng, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. captkeng

captkeng Thread Starter

I have a dell inpiron e1505 laptop that shuts down when unplugged from power supply. I installed a new battery but it does the same thing. Could it be the power cord itself? :(

2. vicks

vicks

Yes, it could be the power adapter. Use a voltage tester on it to see if power is going through it.
    How long did you let the new battery charge before you tried to use it?
    Vicks

3. captkeng

captkeng Thread Starter

We charged it overnight and even then it shut off when power cord was pulled from laptop. We don't think it charges the battery.

4. vicks

vicks

As I posted in #2, you can test to see if the adapter brick is puting out the correct voltage. If that is working as it should it is possible that the built-in charger is bad. If that is the case, you probablly need to take it to a shop and have it repaired/replaced...
    Vicks

5. captkeng

captkeng Thread Starter

Thanks. I don't have a voltage reader and where is the built in charger located?

6. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

If your A/C adapter powers up the laptop, that isn't the source of your problem. You might have gotten a defective battery, but It is also possible that the motherboard is at fault. Voltage regulation circuitry for a laptop is complex, and it is entirely possible that the machine could run off A/C power and still not charge the battery.

7. yugh001

yugh001

i feel adapter not laptop battery

8. captkeng

captkeng Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for their input.

9. vicks

vicks

A laptop charger is behind where you plug the power cord in. If this is under warranty, contact the computer manufacturer andd see what they will do for you. If out of warranty, I would look for a smaller mom/pop shop to take it to and have them analyze it for you. That would probably run in the neighborhood of $25.00 +/-.
    If you can post back after you find a solution, we would appreciate it if you would, so we and others can learn from it
    Thanks.
    Vicks

10. captkeng

captkeng Thread Starter

The original battery went bad and I bought a cheap one on Ebay. Bad choice, I took it to a professional and he says the laptop and adapter are fine but the china made battery is no good. Thanks to everyone's input,

11. vicks

vicks

You are welcome Glad you have found the trouble..
    When you feel this has been solved to your satisfaction, feel free to click on the 'marked solved" button at the top of your original post..
    Vicks

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/988300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice