1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: dell hard drive full

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wuanbonebilly, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wuanbonebilly

wuanbonebilly Thread Starter

i just got a old dell it has 6.99 GB of hard drive space...and every bit is used..i have gone into add and remove and there is nothing there to remove...i have removed all of the things that i dont use or or dont need...and its still full..i have removed pics ...videos...movies music...i'm scared to remove too many files ...i dont know what the go to...i went to GUEST and removed all of that stuff too...i went to temp files in internet options...and did the disk clean...what else can i do...i got out of all that 2.99 somthing....but i can not put a major dent in this hard drive....it's a dell....its old...its got xp on it....and it wont system restore cause its not enough room...the pc tells me constantly that i am low on disk space and i need to do so and so and when i do it...5 minutes later i am back to square one.....can anybody help me in this....i have exactly 35.2MB of free space....way too low for the pc to operate properly

2. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Well, a typical install of XP will use up ~1.5gigs of space. Throw in any pagefiles, temporary data, and any applications and you're probably looking at really close to 5gigs of space in use.

I'd recommend a new hard drive - even if its a used 20gig from somewhere. With a 7gig hard drive you will constantly be fighting for space.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

4. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
    You can also gain hard drive space by disabling "System Restore" by right clicking My Computer>Properties>System Restore. I recently did this and gained 7gigs of space on my HDD. Be sure to re-enable system restore right away and create a new restore point.

Jim

5. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

and reduce the size to 5%

6. Bernardo

Bernardo

What programs are installed?

7. cci704

cci704

you might want to try this:
    How to erase unused disk space occupied by Windows XP and Vista update files? Windows XP Update Remover is a small utility for those that receive low disk space error, this error appears when the computer is running out of disk space. Windows XP Update Remover lets you easily remove the $NtUninstall backup folders and associated uninstall information from your computer to save disk space. For those with a netbook runs on flash drive that comes with a really small disk space, Windows XP Update Remover is the answer.

8. wuanbonebilly

i might have to get a new drive...thanks

9. wuanbonebilly

cant do a clean install...no disks...what do i do after i run the link you showed me....i don't know what i'm looking at..nor do i know what to do with wha i'm looking at

10. wuanbonebilly

tried as u suggested nothing happened nor has it increased my drive size....

11. wuanbonebilly

just the regular stuff...adobe...google...normal stuff...how do i copy and post it here so u can see it....

12. wuanbonebilly

sounds good how do i do it.....walk me thru it please....i've never did this update stuff before

13. Bernardo

Bernardo

Adobe what? Reader? Google doesn't get installed. Don't think you can copy and paste a list without installing yet another program.

14. wuanbonebilly

ok i turned system restore off..and reduced it to 5%...still nothing...does it take aawhile for t to activate or something...sorry...no increase

15. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

try restarting

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!