1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell - IBM Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kolias, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

My Dell Inspiron laptop with Vista Home is my main computer and is connected to the Internet thru a wirelees modem.

I bought today a used Thinkpad T41 with XP Pro which I will use to run my CNC but first I have to connect the Thinkpad to my Dell to transfer all the files I need.

So far it looks that the Thinkpad is connected to the wireless modem and the Dell. I was able to brouse the web and I can see on the Windows explorer Public on Dell Laptop.

However on the Dell I can see the Thinkpad under the network connections but when I click on it I get the message “Windows cant access Thinkpad” and when I run the diagnostic it tells me to see the administrator.

I’m sure it must be something very simple but cant figure it out

Any help?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Good info there, thank you

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    did it resolve your issue ?

5. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

There is a lot of good info there and takes time to digest it all. So far I have been able to get a window which asks me to put my password but after I type it says password or username is not valid. So I try to work around this issue now.

Perhaps I’m wrong but I believe my user name / password are correct

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    user name and password needs to be the same on both machines

7. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Finally I resolved my issue which I knew it was simple.

All I had to do is to allow sharing my folders on the ThinkPad under the network setup wizard. Now both Laptops communicate with other nicely and no password is needed to access either Laptop on my network.

No password is needed I guess because I have to login to both Laptops with my password and the wireless setup in both Laptops has the same SSID and a 26 characters WEP key.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    (y) you can mark solved
    You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!