1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Inspiron 1501 issues (Power?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by draceplace, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. draceplace

draceplace Thread Starter

Thanks for reading my post!!

College son dropped off the laptop (xp media edition) saying since he dropped it, it hasn't booted up. Testing reveals the laptops boots to various points and hangs. Once I got into the bios and it froze. mostly it hangs before bios (set up) or boot menu. But its strange inconsistant.

Its also hung on DOS screen 'battery cannot be identified System will be unable to charge' and also some Broadcom/ PXE messages.

I've tested the power supply (cord and adapter) and it works on another pc. I haven't checked the hard drive.

My research has found some sketchy information indicating this laptop has problems with the power connector on the chassis. This makes a little since since he dropped the computer (and possibly damaged this part).

Does anyone have some information to share conserning the power connection issue for Dell 1501's? Could the above symptoms be related to power?

Thanks again.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Since it worked fine before it was dropped, I doubt some inherit defect is at play here.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The PXE message is a clue, that means it cant find the HDD.

Likely severe HDD damage at worst, or at best the drive has become partially unplugged.

Even worse would be motherboard damage.

Have you got household insurance that would cover a professional repair/replace?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Most US homeowner's insurance policies do not cover accidental damage to computers. It's even less likely that it would cover damage done outside the home at college.

5. draceplace

thanks for the reply!
    Info I read indicated that Dell had weak design where the power cord plugs into the chassie(power jack?). Forums and sites like http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-Dell-notebook-power-jack-repair/ allude to this issue.

I was thinking a drop could stress/damage this connection (the cord was in when he dropped it). People were saying that they could wiggle the cord/connection and get the laptop to work a little. I haven't tried the 'wiggling' for fear of creating damage if this isn't the issue. Also the dead battery stuff 'clouds' the issue.

I'm experiencing inconsistant boots which may/maynot indicate that power is working for a brief time before dropping. Also it seems the fan runs sometimes and sometimes not?

I was hoping to hear from someone who knows of a Dell Inspiron 1501 (or simular) that has experience this issue. This may be wishfull thinking on my part.

6. draceplace

Thanks for addressing my thread!!

I can agree, The hard drive may be the culpit here. I don't hear or feel is spin when it starts up but it is deep in the casing. Strangely 2 of the 3 little screws that hold the HD in are missing and my son knows nothing about it. I doubt he could find the HD if he needed to. Looks like I could replace for $70-100? I would like to be able to verify before I spend that money.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You're getting hard drive errors, there are screws missing, and the computer was dropped. I don't see that it matters whether or not there might have been some defect with the model. The fact is that it worked fine before it was dropped. Now something is most definitely broken.

Regardless, the solution is the same. A qualified tech needs to take it apart to assess the damage and problem. I seriously doubt it's as simple as something knocked loose than can be easily reconnected. The entire system board would need to be replaced. Since the computer was dropped, there's no way you'd get Dell to cover anything under warranty since you can't prove there was a pre-existing defect.

8. draceplace

I appreicate anyone who take the time to read and replies to the threads on TSG.
    But please note: NO where in my post am I refering to Dell warranties, blaming Dell for a defect, or looking to make a claim on a home owners insurance. If you don't have the information I'm requesting please pass my thread and apply your vast warranty knowledge to someone who ask for it.

I'm simply asking "I was hoping to hear from someone who knows of a Dell Inspiron 1501 (or simular) that has experienced this issue. "

I'm going with kiwiguy and looking for someone locally (tech or individual) who has a hard drive they will let me test with.

9. MERZ

MERZ

I have issues with my Dell Inspiron 1501 as hanging on the post screen about half way through, the only way I have come to stop this is to remove the battery, replace and restart. and it is also inconstiant sometime it does it sometimes not. Also I have not been able to get the battery to ever get a full charge. This is not the only problem I have had with this laptop.

• the network connection shows connection status unknown
    • the hard drive has had multiple errors and needed to be reformated.
    • it gets really hot alot.

I realize your last post was almost 7 years ago. But i was hoping something came out of this. Thanks.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually this thread is just from last month.

Do you actually have a question you wanted to ask? If you do you should start your own thread.

11. MERZ

MERZ

oh, I am sorry I was looking at join date rather than post date.

12. draceplace

In this case it ended up being the hard drive. Replaced HD and it runs like a new one...I'll mark the thread as solved..

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/741687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice