1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Inspiron 2600 memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by askquestions59, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. askquestions59

askquestions59 Thread Starter

Greetings!
    A friend donated a Dell Inspiron 2600 to give to a needy person in Uganda, East Africa. It had some serious software problems and trouble with a couple of hardware functions. It had ONLY Windows XP Home Edition at ONLY SP1. The tech guy in Uganda managed to clear up the software and reloaded XP and got it to SP3. This fixed the USB port and DVD that had not been working properly. Now he simply wants to add more RAM memory. It currently has 2 memory "chips." Here is what he reports is on both chips:

Specifications on the memory chip from the Physical Laptop (DELL INSPIRON 2600)
    Samsung
    Korea M 0225
    PC133S-333-542
    M464S1724DTS-L74

He is asking me to order TWO (2) 256MB SDRAM memory chips.
    He sent me screens from a site that sells this memory. It is MEMORYSTOCK.COM. I had a "chat" session with the site's tech support. That tech support confirmed the specific Samsung memory the Ugandan tech wants me to order IS CORRECT.

HERE IS MY CONCERN / QUESTION: The memorystock.com site EXPLICITLY states that one of the 2 chips in the machine are FACTORY INSTALLED and that it is fixed - it is not to be removed. (I gather/understand it can NOT (or should not) be replaced.) If this is true then I should only order ONE 256MB chip to upgrade the laptop. I do NOT know the level of training or experience of the tech support in Uganda. CAN HE DAMAGE OR EVEN RENDER INOPERABLE the Dell Inspiron 2600 if he tries to remove or replace the Factory Installed RAM chip? If so, should I strongly counsel him to NOT remove it. (I sent him an e-mail trying to address this question. Even though English is their primary language I could not make my concern clear enough.) If you are able to advise me whether or not he should be replacing BOTH or ONLY ONE of the installed chips, I can and will be far more direct in my e-mail to him once I have the CONFIDENCE of YOUR ADVICE and counsel.

Thank you,

askquestions59

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Max Memory supported by that laptop is 512Mb. One stick is behind the Keyboard and it is replaceable after the keyboard has been removed. The other stick is located behind a cover on the bottom of the laptop. I have replaced Both sticks before on the same model Inspiron. So if you are up to it send him the 2 sticks. The keyboard removal is not a complete disassembly of the case as on some laptops.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The first memory slot is to be accessed only by a tech rather than the end user, but its really not that hard to get at and should take an upgraded memory module. Its located under the keyboard beneath a panel. I found these instructions: http://life-of-brian.com/2009/12/installing-extra-ram-in-a-dell-inspiron-2600/

There's a little more risk associated with switching out this module, most of which will come from the extra disassembly of the laptop.

Windows XP needs 512MB of RAM or more to run decently.

4. askquestions59

askquestions59 Thread Starter

Dustyjay and Triple6 ... How can I thank you enough? I can't, but I will say, "Thank You."

You both answered the tech side of my question and the Heart side - Now I know I can I trust that it can be done. (See, when I saw "factory only" I was figuring maybe the memory might even be "soldered" in place and his attempt to remove it might irreparably damage the machine and render it useless.) I knew he had already found the 2 memory locations since he sent me photos of each - in the opened laptop.

I NOW HAVE THE CONFIDENCE TO PURCHASE THE 512MB - not a big deal about about $15 each. The next challenge now will be to locate someone headed to Uganda to delivery it for me. Mail and customs are so unreliable they can not be trusted.

I want to offer each one of you one more expression of gratitude: I CAN NOT IMAGINE sacrificing your time as each of you are doing with 9,000 and 32,000 voluntary responses to technical questions of all types such as mine. You are clearly UNSELFISH with your time and your talents. Thank You!

God Bless,

Askquestions59

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You're welcome (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1007249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice