1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Inspiron 5150 not charging

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by **__**, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

On this laptop, I have two old batteries that don't want to charge. The computer ran fine on the battery that still had remaining power, but even though the computer was plugged in, the battery kept discharging until there was no power left in the battery and the computer shut down. I can't run the laptop off of AC power with or without the battery inside. When there is no battery in and the AC is plugged in, the power and battery lights flicker green really quickly. When battery 1 is in and the AC is plugged in, the battery light remains steady orange than turns off. When the same battery is in but the AC is unplugged, the power and battery light, light up green for half a second, then battery light flashes orange slowly than stops. Now for battery 2, when the AC is plugged in, only the battery light flashes orange four times, then green and turns off, and when the AC unplugged, both the power and battery light up green for half a second, then the battery light flashes orange four times than green. No matter what I try, I can't get the computer to boot up.

I had the motherboard inspected and everything is fine, including the jack and there is power at the adapter jack. Is it normal for the laptop not be able to run without a battery that is capable of charging? Does the battery need to be replaced?

2. jakett

jakett

check out how much voltage you're getting from the power adapter. I had an old Hp Pavillion Z something that wasn't charging a newly installed battery. When tested, the voltage was normal (19.4V). When I tried another charger, the battery began to charge.

3. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

I know what the problem is. I figured out that when the battery is out, and the power light as well as the battery light are flickering really fast when the AC is plugged in, the rate of the flickering changes when I move the AC plug around in the jack. The more I push it up and in, the more steady the lights are, but they flicker less. But this is not enough to charge the battery or to power it back on. Also, when I had the adapter inspected for voltage, there wasn't enough power, and the problem was that part of the cable beside the jack was damaged. That means that because the cable was damaged due to an impact force, so then the jack also went damaged, because they must have been both connected at the same time. So the jack will need to be replaced to fix this problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice