1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Inspiron 530 won't turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nakamu919, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nakamu919

nakamu919 Thread Starter

Computer won't turn on. When I hit power button, it quickly blinks amber and makes a split second sound like something is turning inside, then nothing. If I hold the power button down, it will blink amber about every second and make the quick sound, but nothing turns on. Green light on back, below power cord, solid green. Everything is unplugged from the machine. Recently, from time to time, computer has been making constant noise, like fan running loud our perhaps hard drive??

Complete computer novice here. Thanks for any ideas.

2. AJScott

AJScott

Does any information come up on screen?

Otherwise, points to a power supply issue. First, try replace the power cord in the back that connects to your power outlet.

3. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Even if the hard drive has failed it would still start....things that make it not start would be the power supply faulty needs replacing, or fan on the CPU heatsink faulty and or plugged with dust. But I had the 530 when I was working in Canada it was fine but the Powersupply was inferior.

I would start with the Powersuppy

4. nakamu919

nakamu919 Thread Starter

Thanks for quick tips. Nothing comes up on screen and I did try new power cord, bar and outlet. Will start looking into power supply.

5. nakamu919

nakamu919 Thread Starter

Opened the case and the heatsink (I think?; the thing with the fan on it?) was covered with dust. Blew dust off everything inside and now works. Great tips. Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1057369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice